U.S. Department of Defense
Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs)
|IMMEDIATE RELEASE||December 11, 2012|
The Department of Defense announced today recruiting and retention statistics for the active and reserve components for fiscal 2013, through October.
Recruiting. All four active services met or exceeded their numerical accession goals for fiscal 2013, through October.
- Army - 5,080 accessions, with a goal of 5,050; 101 percent
- Navy - 2,256 accessions, with a goal of 2,256; 100 percent
- Marine Corps - 2,482 accessions, with a goal of 2,471; 100 percent
- Air Force - 1,985 accessions, with a goal of 1,985; 100 percent
Retention. The Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps exhibited strong retention numbers for the first month of fiscal 2013. As a result of the Navy's transition from a downsizing to a stabilizing posture, Zone A (Initial) is at 92 percent, however, the other two zones continue to exhibit strong retention numbers.
Recruiting. Five of the six reserve components met or exceeded their October fiscal 2013 numerical accession goals. The Army Reserve finished 262 short for the month. The shortfall was the result of precision recruiting which was implemented in an attempt to rebalance the force. Increased job announcements should help mitigate this shortfall.
- Army National Guard - 4,211 accessions, with a goal of 3,424; 123 percent
- Army Reserve - 2,098 accessions, with a goal of 2,360; 89 percent
- Navy Reserve - 418 accessions, with a goal of 418; 100 percent
- Marine Corps Reserve - 996 accessions, with a goal of 850; 117 percent
- Air National Guard - 647 accessions, with a goal of 647; 100 percent
- Air Force Reserve - 691 accessions, with a goal of 691; 100 percent
Attrition - All reserve components met their fiscal 2012 attrition goals. (This indicator lags by one month due to data availability.)
Detailed information on specific recruiting data can be obtained by contacting the individual military recruiting commands at 502-626-0164 for Army, 210-565-4678 for Air Force, 703-784-9454 for Marine Corps, and 901-874-9048 for Navy. The reserve components can be reached at the following numbers: National Guard Bureau 703-607-2586; Army Reserve 910-570-8330; Air Force Reserve 703-697-1761; Navy Reserve 757-322-5652; and Marine Corps Reserve 504-678-6535.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|