10 September 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 10 Sep 2012 [PDF]
- Afghanistan district to get police substations Army News 10 Sep 2012 -- Afghan and U.S. forces are working together to expand the Afghan Uniformed Police presence here with the establishment of several police substations at strategic locations throughout the Takhteh Pol district starting this year.
- 1st Engineer Battalion cases color for Afghanistan Army News 10 Sep 2012 -- Displaying great discipline and honor, 'Die Hard' Soldiers of the 1st Engineer Battalion, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, gathered at the Cavalry Parade Field to case their battalion's colors.
- UN food agency launches nutrition initiative for millions of Afghans UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) today announced the launch of a new aid partnership targeting millions of Afghans with more nutritious foods, as part of ongoing efforts to improve the level of vitamin and mineral deficiency in the Central Asian country.
- US Transfers Bagram Prison to Afghanistan VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- The United States has formally handed over control of a controversial prison to the Afghan government, despite concerns about the fate of some of its inmates.
- Combined Force Kills Insurgents in Laghman Province AFPS 10 Sep 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed several armed insurgents during an operation to arrest a Taliban attack commander in the Alisheng district of Afghanistan's Laghman province today, military officials reported.
- U.S. Hands Over Bagram Prison To Afghans RFE/RL 10 Sep 2012 -- The United States has formally handed over control of Bagram prison to Afghan authorities.
- US Hands Over Bagram Prison to Afghan Authorities VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- The United States handed over control of Bagram prison to Afghan authorities on Monday. President Hamid Karzai has described as an important step towards the recognition of Afghan national sovereignty.
- The Deep Divide Over Bagram Prison: Interview With Chris Rogers RFE/RL 10 Sep 2012
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary Panetta at the Flight 93 National Memorial, Shanksville, Pa. DoD 10 Sep 2012
- Presidential Proclamation -- Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, 2012 The White House 10 Sep 2012
- Army, Air Force join forces during live fire exercise Army News 10 Sep 2012 -- Soldiers, aviators and Airmen came together at the Digital Multipurpose Range Complex on Sept. 6 here to conduct Joint Exercise Gunsmoke as part of Operation Wolfhound Maul being conducted by 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.
- USS Milius Returns from Deployment NNS 10 Sep 2012 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Milius (DDG 69) is scheduled to return to San Diego, Sept. 11, after an eight-month independent deployment to the Western Pacific and U.S. Central Command areas of responsibility.
- Pacific Partnership 2012 Returns to San Diego NNS 10 Sep 2012 -- Pacific Partnership 2012 (PP12), embarked aboard Military Sealift Command's hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19), will return to its home port of San Diego Sept. 14, after completing a nearly five-month deployment on the largest annual humanitarian civic assistance mission in the Asia Pacific region.
- La Jolla Visits Yokosuka during Western Pacific Deployment NNS 10 Sep 2012 -- The Los Angeles class fast attack submarine USS La Jolla (SSN 701) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka Sept. 10 for a visit as part of its deployment to the Western Pacific.
- Bonhomme Richard ARG Initiates Certification Exercise NNS 10 Sep 2012 -- The Bonhomme Richard Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), along with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), began Certification Exercise (CERTEX), Sept. 10, during a scheduled deployment.
- Air Evac Airmen test capabilities on new airframe AFNS 10 Sep 2012 -- Airmen from the 86th Aeromedical Evacuation Squadron tested their aeromedical evacuation capabilities on a new airframe here Sept. 3.
- Navy Announces RC to AC Program for Reservists to Pursue Active Duty Careers NNS 10 Sep 2012 -- The Navy is establishing a new augmentation program that will offer enlisted Reservists opportunities to convert to permanent active duty careers, as outlined in NAVADMIN 274/12, released September 9.
- MOD sets out future of Invincible Class carriers UK MOD 10 Sep 2012 -- Plans to preserve the legacy of the Royal Navy's Invincible Class aircraft carriers have been outlined today.
- NATO's Rasmussen Discusses Afghanistan, Syria, 9/11 Attacks AFPS 10 Sep 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen discussed progress in Afghanistan, the brutal civil war in Syria and tomorrow's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks during his monthly news conference.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over Latvia, Estonia RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2012 -- A group of Russian military observers begin on Monday a six-day inspection mission in the skies of Latvia and Estonia under the Open Skies Treaty, the Defense Ministry's press office reported.
- September 10, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 10 Sep 2012
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney, 09/10/2012 The White House 10 Sep 2012
- 10 September 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Sep 2012
- Syria: UN senior official warns of legal consequences to human rights crimes UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- Violence against civilians caught in the Syrian conflict will not go unpunished, the United Nations human rights chief warned today, while also urging the Security Council to refer the case of Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- Syria crisis, discrimination, impunity among issues facing top UN human rights body UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- As the Human Rights Council began its latest session today, United Nations officials highlighted the many challenges that continue to concern the world body, from the ongoing conflict in Syria and its impact on civilians to broader issues such as discrimination and impunity.
- Ahead of visit, new UN-Arab League envoy reiterates commitment to Syrian people UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- The new Joint Special Representative of the United Nations and the League of Arab States on the Syrian crisis, Lakhdar Brahimi, today reiterated his commitment to serve the interests of the Syrian people and help to return stability to the Middle Eastern country.
- Syrian Rebel Video Appears to Show 20 Executed Soldiers VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- Syrian rebels have posted an Internet video that appears to show the bodies of 20 soldiers whom they executed in the northern city of Aleppo.
- Japan Decision Raises Stakes in Island Dispute VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- Japan's decision Monday to purchase disputed islands China says are part of its territory is raising tensions between the two Asian neighbors.
- Taiwan will not recognize any deal on Tiaoyutais: premier CNA 10 Sep 2012 -- Premier Sean Chen said Monday that Taiwan will not recognize any sale of the Tiaoyutai Islands in the East China Sea, as they are part of the country's territory.
- Envoy to Japan might be asked to explain disputed islands CNA 10 Sep 2012 -- Taiwan said Monday that it is considering asking the country's representative to Japan to return to Taiwan to explain Japan's plans to nationalize the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands.
- Supervised Independence Ends in Kosovo VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- Fewer than five years after becoming a country, Kosovo marks a milestone by bringing to a close a period of 'supervised independence,' which saw international representatives having governing duties alongside local authorities.
- Kosovo 'Supervised' Independence Ends RFE/RL 10 Sep 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has hailed the end of international supervision for Kosovo's independence as a "historic milestone."
- International Steering Group Ends Kosovo Supervision RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2012 -- The 25-nation International Steering Group, which guided Kosovo after it declared independence, formally ended the supervision of the region on Monday, local media reported.
- Foreign Ministry rejects statements attributed to its spokesman on Canada IRNA 10 Sep 2012 -- Media Diplomacy Department of Foreign Ministry on Monday dismissed some statements attributed to its spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast about countries following Canada.
- Iran sets two prerequisites for new modality with IAEA IRNA 10 Sep 2012 -- Iranian national security concerns must be taken into account in request for access to military site and the UN nuclear agency must present document on alleged studies, Iranian Ambassador to IAEA Ali Asghar Soltanieh said on Monday.
- Navy Commander: Nuclear warships root cause of environmental damage to Persian Gulf IRNA 10 Sep 2012 -- Iran's Navy Commander Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari stressed here on Monday that the presence of nuclear aircraft carriers of trans-regional forces in the Persian Gulf would cause massive environmental damage to the region.
- IAEA Chief Urges Immediate Access To Iran Site RFE/RL 10 Sep 2012 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is pressing Iran to grant his inspectors access "without further delay" to a military site where Iran is believed to conducting nuclear activities.
- IAEA Demands Access to Iranian Military Site RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2012 -- The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog urged Iran on Monday to grant IAEA inspectors immediate access to the Parchin facility, the agency reported on its website.
- UN atomic agency calls on Iran to grant inspectors access to military site UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- The head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog today renewed his call on Iran to grant inspectors access to the Parchin nuclear facility site.
- IAEA Demands Access to Iranian Military Site VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations nuclear watchdog chief demanded on Monday that Iran give U.N. inspectors 'without further delay' access to a disputed military site where they believe Iran ran may have conducted tests tied to the development of nuclear weapons.
- Fugitive Iraq Vice President Rejects Sentencing In Absentia RFE/RL 10 Sep 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive Sunni Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi has rejected a death sentence imposed upon him by an Iraqi court.
- UN envoy in Iraq urges political blocs to reach agreement on electoral commission UN News Centre 10 Sep 2012 -- The United Nations envoy in Iraq today urged all political forces in the country's parliament – the Council of Representatives – to reach agreement on the selection of the new Board of Commissioners of the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC), and find a solution that serves the legitimate democratic aspirations of the Iraqi people.
- Fugitive Iraqi VP Says Death Sentence a Sham VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- Iraq's fugitive Sunni vice president has denounced a murder conviction and death sentence against him as politically motivated, and said he would not return home from Turkey within 30 days as demanded.
- Roscosmos Space Agency Recalls Briz-M Upper Stage Batch RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2012 -- The Russian space agency Roscosmos will recall the entire batch of Briz-M upper stages, one of which caused the launch of a Proton-M carrier rocket to fail in August, the agency's chief Vladimir Popovkin said on Monday.
- Medvedev Pledges $21 Bln for Space Industry RIA Novosti 10 Sep 2012 -- Russia will spend 670 billion rubles ($21 billion) to develop its space industry in the coming years, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday.
- Al-Qaida's Second in Command in Yemen Killed VOA 10 Sep 2012 -- The Yemeni government says its forces have killed the second-in-command of al-Qaida's Yemen-based network.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|