Libya Accuses NATO of Killing Villagers
VOA News August 09, 2011
The Libyan government is accusing NATO forces of killing dozens of civilians in a village near the western town of Zlitan.
Authorities said Tuesday that villagers in Majar were killed late Monday, following allied airstrikes over the region. The government said the victims included children.
NATO said its warplanes hit targets in the Zlitan area on Monday, but could not confirm reports of casualties. The alliance said it is investigating the reports.
Meanwhile, the opposition Transitional National Council has dismissed its executive branch in a bid to ease tensions over the mysterious killing of a rebel military chief.
The council Monday asked its chief, Mahmoud Jibril, to form a new executive body of ministers.
The opposition group has faced criticism for last month's assassination of General Abdel Fattah Younes, who was gunned down after he returned to rebel-held Benghazi.
His death is considered a setback for the rebels and a sign of infighting within the group.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|