25 May 2011 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 25 May 2011 [PDF]
- NATO and Libya - Operational Media Update: 24 May 2011
- Obama: 'No Letup' in Airstrikes Against Gadhafi VOA 25 May 2011 -- US President Barack Obama has told the world there will be "no letup" on allied efforts to force Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to step down.
- NATO strikes hammer Tripoli, kill 19 civilians RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- NATO planes pounded Tripoli and its suburbs with some of their heaviest air strikes yet after the US said Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi would “inevitably” be forced from power.
- 'Longknife' Squadron, Iraqi police partner to deter terrorism in Baghdad Army News 25 May 2011 -- Soldiers with the 5-4th Cavalry partnered with members of the Iraqi Federal Police to patrol areas of Baghdad.
- U.S. transfers Karbala base to Iraqi Army Army News 25 May 2011 -- Joint Security Station Hussayniyah was officially transferred to Iraqi government authority in a ceremony held May 14.
- Basrah Police Train Commandos in Riot Control Army News 25 May 2011 -- Stability Transition Team Enforcer coordinated riot control training for the Basrah Operations Command commandos through its counterpart, the Iraqi Police ERU.
- Combined Forces in Helmand Detain Insurgents AFPS 25 May 2011 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force detained several suspected insurgents while searching for a Taliban facilitator in Helmand province.
- Troops Reclaim Afghan District, 28 Rebels Dead RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Officials in Afghanistan say coalition and Afghan troops have retaken control of a remote Afghan district in the northeast after fierce fighting which left 28 Taliban rebels dead.
- Marines escort ANA kandak to new home USMC News 25 May 2011 -- The 4th Kandak, Afghan National Army is a combat support battalion, which brings an engineer company, a reconnaissance company and an artillery company to the fight in Afghanistan.
- German soldier killed in northern Afghanistan: report IRNA 25 May 2011 -- A German soldier was killed and another one was severely injured in a bombing attack in Afghanistan, the daily Bild reported Wednesday.
- Afghan War Veterans Oppose Kazakh Participation In ISAF RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Kazakh veterans of the Soviet-era war in Afghanistan are protesting a parliament decision to send troops to serve with ISAF.
- Pakistan Provokes Deep Divisions In Washington RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- US policymakers, military leaders, and legislators remain deeply divided when it comes to defining relations with Pakistan.
- Wikileaks: Pakistani Military Taught to Dislike US VOA 25 May 2011 -- Leaked U.S. diplomatic cables accuse the Pakistani military of purposefully trying to instill anti-Americanism in many of its top officers.
- Pakistani PM for defense installations security review IRNA 25 May 2011 -- Pakistani PM Gilani issued instructions to upgrade the security of all the defense installations two days after Taliban attacked a naval air force base in Karachi.
- At Least Five Killed In Suicide Truck Bombing At Pakistan Police Station RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- At least five people were killed and dozens more injured when a suicide bomber rammed a truck full of explosives into a police station in northern Pakistan early on May 25.
- 5 Pakistani policemen die in suicide attack IRNA 25 May 2011 -- A suicide bomber Wednesday rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a roadside police investigation center in the northwestern city of Peshawar and killed five policemen.
- Pakistani Taliban Strike Again; Suicide Blast Kills 6 VOA 25 May 2011 -- The Pakistani Taliban are claiming responsibility for yet another deadly attack on the country's security forces, striking a police building in the northwestern city of Peshawar.
- Car Bomb Attack On Pakistani Police Station RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- A suicide car bomb attack on a police station in the Pakistani town of Peshawar has left one policeman dead and 15 people wounded.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Cameron of the United Kingdom in Joint Press Conference in London, United Kingdom The White House 25 May 2011
- Remarks by the President to Parliament in London, United Kingdom The White House 25 May 2011
- Strengthened Collaboration Between the United States and United Kingdom The White House 25 May 2011
- FACT SHEET: The U.S.-UK Joint Strategy Board The White House 25 May 2011
- Joint Fact Sheet: U.S. and UK Cooperation on Cyberspace The White House 25 May 2011
- Joint Fact Sheet: U.S.-UK Task Force to Support Our Armed Forces Personnel, Veterans and Their Families The White House 25 May 2011
- Joint Fact Sheet: U.S.-UK Higher Education, Science, and Innovation Collaboration The White House 25 May 2011
- Joint Fact Sheet: The U.S.-UK Partnership for Global Development The White House 25 May 2011
- Joint Fact Sheet: Peace Corps and VSO Partnership on Volunteerism to Promote Global Development The White House 25 May 2011
- Obama, Cameron Discuss Security Aspects of U.S., U.K. Ties AFPS 25 May 2011 -- The relationship between the US and the UK is the lynchpin for security for both nations, President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron said.
- Obama in London: 'The Time for Our Leadership Is Now' VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama sent a message that the United States and Great Britain will continue to lead efforts toward world peace and democracy.
- Obama Tells British Parliament Alliance Is 'Indispensible' To Future World Challenges RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- US President Barack Obama has reaffirmed the importance of Washington's cooperation with the United Kingdom and Europe.
- Shared Values Define U.S.-U.K. Ties, Obama Tells Parliament AFPS 25 May 2011 -- The US and the UK are drawn together not just by language and shared sacrifice, but also by shared values that are an example to the world.
- Obama Trip to Britain Highlights His European Popularity VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is in Britain with his wife Michelle on a state visit aimed at strengthening the longtime "special relationship" between Britain and the United States.
- Russia Faces off with U.S. over MD KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Russia is taking active measures against the U.S. threat to his country.
- Russia Plans to Develop New Type Interceptor Missile System KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Russia plans to develop a new type mobile interceptor missile system in the near future to cope with the threat from space.
- Gates' Speech at Office of the Director of National Intelligence DoD 25 May 2011
- Balanced, Versatile Force Key, Mullen Says AFPS 25 May 2011 -- A reduced military presence in the Middle East, economic limits, and an increased need for partnerships lie ahead for the U.S. military.
- Strategic Concerns Complicate Efforts to Cut US Defense Spending VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates is making the case for strategic thinking about defense.
- U.S. Tests New Type Nuclear Weapon KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The U.S. is still keen on testing nuclear weapons.
- At Reagan Gala, Secretary Cites Importance of U.S. Military Power AFPS 25 May 2011 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates quoted the 40th president on the importance of sustaining U.S. military power.
- U.S. Air Force Prepares for F-35A Training on F-35B, F-35C NNS 25 May 2011 -- U.S. Air Force maintainers arrived here April 19 to get hands-on experience with the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter.
- First aircraft in phase one of block 40/45 modification completed ahead of schedule AFNS 25 May 2011 -- Phase one of the low-rate initial production of the block 40/45 modification project was finished on the first AWACS May 17, 30 days ahead of schedule.
- Old Ironsides starts new chapter at Fort Bliss Army News 25 May 2011 -- The salute blast of howitzer cannon fire cascading off El Paso’s Franklin Mountains marked the official welcoming of the 1st Armored Division to Fort Bliss May 24.
- 1st AD uncases its colors at Fort Bliss Army News 25 May 2011 -- The last U.S. Army division to leave Germany, the 1st Armored Division, unfurled its colors Monday at Fort Bliss.
- 'Small but critical' unit moving to F.E. Warren AFNS 25 May 2011 -- The commander of Air Force Global Strike Command plans to relocate the Missile Engineer Squadron to F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
- US-Indonesian Navy Exercise Highlights Joint At-Sea Training NNS 25 May 2011 -- Three U.S. Navy ships arrived in Jakarta, Indonesia, May 25 for the beginning of the 17th annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) Indonesia exercise.
- U.S. and S. Korea Announce Plan for Military Exercises KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The U.S. and the south Koreans on May 23 announced that they would stage large-scale combined battle exercises.
- U.S. Forces Hit for Burying Defoliant in S. Korea KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Spokesman for the Democratic Labor Party of south Korea denounced the U.S. forces in south Korea for having buried defoliant in the Waegwan military base.
- USS Boone, Thach Depart Punta Arenas NNS 25 May 2011 -- USS Boone and USS Thach departed Punta Arenas, Chile, May 24 after spending four days participating in events with the Chilean navy and community.
- Northcom Supports Response to Severe Midwest Weather AFPS 25 May 2011 -- US Northern Command officials activated their defense coordinating officer and defense coordinating element for FEMA Region 7 and extended those functions for FEMA Region 6.
- National Guard completes largest-ever exercise Army News 25 May 2011 -- About 40,000 NG members working with active duty servicemembers and emergency personnel completed "National Level Exercise 11.
- Academy Graduates Put Air Force in Good Standing, Donley Says AFPS 25 May 2011 -- Air Force Secretary Michael B. Donley: The U.S. military has existed without a draft due to the willingness of young Americans to serve, even during war.
- New headquarters building starts new chapter for TRADOC Army News 25 May 2011 -- Gen. Robert W. Cone and McKinley L. Price provided remarks at the TRADOC Headquarters ribbon cutting and memorialization ceremony.
- NAVFAC Builds First LEED Gold Facility in Guam NNS 25 May 2011 -- The Navy's first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Gold certified bachelor enlisted quarters on Naval Base Guam officially opened for business May 20.
- Bethesda Closes in on Another Project NNS 25 May 2011 -- Officer in Charge of Construction Bethesda, reached another milestone in the construction of the multi-use parking structure May 18th when the last piece of precast was set.
- Gates Stresses Reflection in Memorial Day Message AFPS 25 May 2011 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates called on service members to reflect on their comrades who have died in service to the nation.
- Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile Launched in Russia KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The Russian Navy succeeded in launching inter-continental ballistic missile Sineva in the waters of the Barents Sea on May 20.
- Defense ministry regrets impunity of ex-officers in torture case CNA 25 May 2011 -- Taiwan's MND regrets the decision by the Supreme Prosecutors Office to not prosecute officers involved in case mishandling.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, May 25, 2011 US Dept. of State 25 May 2011
- DoD News: Contracts for May 25, 2011
- GE to Provide Austal USA with LM2500 Gas Turbines for United States Navy's Third LCS-Class-Independence Variant GE Marine 25 May 2011 -- GE Marine reports that it will provide Austal USA, Mobile, Alabama, with two LM2500 aeroderivative gas turbines to power the United States Navy's third LCS-Class-Independence variant. To be named USS Jackson, the vessel will be powered by the LM2500s arranged in a combined diesel and gas turbine configuration with two diesel engines.
- Lockheed Martin Delivers AH-1Z Cobra Targeting Systems to the U.S. Marine Corps Ahead of Schedule Lockheed Martin 25 May 2011 -- TSSLockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] recently began early delivery of Target Sight System (TSS) follow-on
production units for the U.S. Marine Corps' AH-1Z Cobra attack helicopter. The TSS units feature upgraded software to provide additional targeting capabilities.
- Northrop Grumman to Supply Radar Upgrades for Swedish Navy Patrol Boats Northrop Grumman 25 May 2011 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Sperry Marine business unit has won a contract to upgrade the navigation radars on five Swedish navy patrol boats.
- Orbital Awarded $26 Million Contract by U.S. Navy for Coyote Sea-Skimming Target Vehicles Orbital Sciences Corp. 25 May 2011 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) today announced that it was recently awarded a production contract for seven Coyote supersonic sea-skimming target (SSST) vehicles and related equipment by the U.S. Navy.
- Raytheon Deploys Miniature Air Launched Decoys From C-130 Cargo Aircraft Raytheon 25 May 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) launched two Miniature Air Launched Decoy instrumented shapes from the ramp of a C-130 Hercules equipped with the new Raytheon-funded MALD® Cargo Air Launched System (MCALS). This test marked the first deployment of a MALD airframe from a cargo aircraft.
- Raytheon Receives $20 Million Order to Provide Encrypted Identification Technology Raytheon 25 May 2011 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has received a $20.7 million award to deliver more than 1,900 KIV-77 Mode 4 / 5 cryptographic units that provide secure communications for combat systems force identification.
- Lockheed Martin Demonstrates Full Range of Capabilities at Empire Challenge 2011 Lockheed Martin 25 May 2011 -- Lockheed Martin will demonstrate its advanced intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR), and battlefield communication technologies in a nine-day exercise at Empire Challenge 11 (EC 11), May 23 to June 3, at Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
- ATK Propulsion and Controls Supports Most Challenging Missile Defense Test to Date ATK 25 May 2011 -- ATK (NYSE: ATK), the nation's leading solid rocket motor producer, provided a key component for the latest successful missile defense test of a Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) Block IA missile.
- Northrop Grumman Receives Authorization From U.S. Air Force to Begin Work on Defense Weather Satellite System Northrop Grumman 25 May 2011 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has received authorization and funding to proceed on a Department of Defense weather satellite system projected for launch in 2018. The Defense Weather Satellite System (DWSS) will leverage the accomplishments and momentum of the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS) program.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 25 May 2011 United Nations 25 May 2011
- Ban insists on ceasefire and transition talks in Libya during discussions with premier UN News Centre 25 May 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban has spoken with the Libyan Prime Minister and reiterated the urgent need for a real ceasefire.
- Obama, Cameron Claim Agreement on Libya VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron are sounding a harmonious tone on their approach to Libya.
- Obama, Cameron repeat calls for regime change in Libya IRNA 25 May 2011 -- US President Barack Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron insisted that there would be no let up in applying pressure on Libya.
- Explosions Rock Libyan Capital VOA 25 May 2011 -- Fresh explosions rocked Libya's capital late Tuesday.
- TUNISIA: Growing frustration in Choucha transit camp IRIN 25 May 2011 -- Tensions have escalated among third country nationals who fled violence in Libya and have been living in Choucha transit camp in Tunisia, and the situation could get worse, an aid worker warns.
- CHAD-LIBYA: Agencies prepare for more migrants IRIN 25 May 2011 -- Villagers near the arrival points face a “double burden” with remittances drying up and their scarce resources overstretched.
- Palestinians Accuse Netanyahu of Killing Peace Process VOA 25 May 2011 -- Palestinian officials are accusing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of killing the peace process.
- Palestinians to Pursue UN Recognition of Statehood VOA 25 May 2011 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has vowed to pursue a plan to seek U.N. recognition of Palestinian statehood if there is no progress in peace talks with Israel by September.
- Palestinians to Press UN for Statehood VOA 25 May 2011 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has repeated his plan to seek U.N. recognition of Palestinian statehood if there is no progress in peace talks with Israel by September.
- Obama Calls On Israel, Palestinians To Make 'Wrenching Compromises' RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has called on Israelis and Palestinians to make serious concessions to relaunch the stalled Middle East peace process.
- Egypt To Open Rafah Crossing To Palestinians RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Egyptian state news agency Mena says Egypt is to open the Rafah border crossing into Gaza permanently to most Palestinians from May 27.
- Political Agreement Needed in Abyei Crisis, Says Sudan Ruling Party Official VOA 25 May 2011 -- An official of Sudan’s ruling National Congress Party says the national armed forces will not withdraw from Abyei region until a political solution is reached.
- Sudanese town of Abyei still tense after burning and looting, UN reports UN News Centre 25 May 2011 -- The situation in Abyei remains tense, according to the UN, which called on both sides to cease their hostilities and return to negotiations.
- Monitors: North Sudan's Occupation of Abyei Was Planned VOA 25 May 2011 -- An international monitoring group says north Sudan's occupation of the contested Abyei region was likely a "premeditated and well-planned" operation.
- Amnesty: Ivory Coast's Ouattara Giving 'Green Light' to Violence VOA 25 May 2011 -- A new Amnesty International report says war crimes have been committed on both sides of the political divide during Ivory Coast's violent post-election standoff.
- LIBERIA-COTE D'IVOIRE: Hope, hardship and hospitality IRIN 25 May 2011 -- Hundreds of refugees from Côte d’Ivoire have found a modest sanctuary in Butuo, Nimba County, in eastern Liberia, where they share land and lodgings with a local population of around 3,000.
- Somalia: Ban urges leaders to commit to stability and public service UN News Centre 25 May 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban urged Somalia’s transitional federal institutions to demonstrate they are moving the country towards political stability and social-economic development.
- Secretary Clinton Statement on Georgia's National Day US Dept. of State 25 May 2011
- Transdnestr proposes increasing Russian peacekeeping force RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- The authorities in Transdnestr believe Russia should dramatically increase the number of its troops in Moldova’s breakaway republic to 3,200 peacekeepers.
- Japan Protests S. Korean Visit to Disputed Isles VOA 25 May 2011 -- Japan has filed a diplomatic protest with South Korea over trips by South Korean government officials to a remote set of small Pacific outcroppings both countries claim.
- Bosnian Muslim Sentenced For War Crimes Against Croats RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- A Bosnian court has sentenced a former member of the Bosnian Muslim forces to eight years in prison for his involvement in war crimes committed against Croatian civilians.
- UN Court Charges Serb Nationalist With Contempt RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia has charged a Serbian nationalist with contempt of court for revealing the identities of protected witnesses.
- Obama Demands Reforms in Syria During UK Visit VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. President Barack Obama pressed for reforms in Syria after his meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron.
- Some Saudi troops in Bahrain may be UK-trained IRNA 25 May 2011 -- Saudi troops dispatched to help quell pro-democracy protests in Bahrain may include numbers who were trained by Britain.
- Iran summons Bahrain envoy over death sentence ISNA 25 May 2011 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned Bahrain's Charge d'Affaires over death sentence issued against an Iranian national in the Arab country.
- As fresh clashes rock Yemen, Ban presses for peaceful resolution of crisis UN News Centre 25 May 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban was “deeply troubled” by continued violent clashes in Yemen.
- UN secretary general calls for end to Yemen clashes RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged on Wednesday an end to clashes between Yemeni protesters and government troops in the capital of Saana.
- Yemen Troops Fight Tribal Forces, New Turn in Revolt VOA 25 May 2011 -- Heavy fighting in Yemen's capital between government troops and forces loyal to a powerful tribal chief mark an escalating shift in the unrest roiling the country for nearly four months.
- Russia issues travel warning for Yemen RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry has urged Russian citizens to avoid visits to Yemen due to escalating political crisis in the Arab country.
- Egyptian youth group calls for new protests RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- An Egyptian youth movement has called for new protests on Friday to demand a step-up in the prosecution of officials from deposed leader Hosni Mubarak's administration.
- FM Spokesman: Iran will help Lebanon establish its government IRNA 25 May 2011 -- FM Mihman-parast: Maturity of Lebanese makes it necessary that the appointed Lebanon's PM-designate Najib Mikati be helped to establish government.
- IAEA urged to correct approach towards Iran's nuclear program IRNA 25 May 2011 -- Head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization Mohammad Abbasi called on the IAEA to abandon its past approach.
- Salehi: Iran ready for fair talks on its nuclear program IRNA 25 May 2011 -- FM Salehi said Iran is always ready for fair and just talks on its nuclear activities based on mutual respect.
- Iran downplays US sanctions ISNA 25 May 2011 -- The Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran Fereidoun Abbasi downplayed the US sanctions against Iran.
- Soltanieh: Iran's nuclear activities continue under IAEA full supervision IRNA 25 May 2011 -- Iran's Ambassador to International Atomic Energy Agency Ali Asghar Soltanieh gave his views on Amano report.
- Soltanieh: Iran ready to export radioisotope products IRNA 25 May 2011 -- Iran’s permanent envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency Soltanieh said on Iran has informed the IAEA of its readiness to export radioisotope products oversease.
- Iran parliament sanctions 26 US officials ISNA 25 May 2011 -- An Iranian lawmaker Kazem Jalali said the country's parliament has approved sanction against a number of the US officials.
- North Korean Leader Kim Jong Il Reportedly in Beijing VOA 25 May 2011 -- There are media reports North Korean leader Kim Jong Il has arrived in Beijing.
- Kim Jong-il in Beijing to meet Hu Jintao RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il arrived in Beijing for a summit with Chinese President Hu Jintao.
- Wen Jiabao on Issue of Korean Peninsula KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Premier of the State Council of China Wen Jiabao: Only dialogue and negotiations are an ultimate way for solving the issue of the Korean Peninsula.
- UN Team Begins Investigation into Fukushima Crisis VOA 25 May 2011 -- A team of United Nations nuclear specialists from 12 countries has begun a week-long investigation into the crisis at Fukushima Daiichi.
- Crisis at Crippled Nuclear Power Plant of Japan Still Remains Serious KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The recovery work at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Japan is facing difficulties, deepening its crisis.
- U.S. Involved in Radioactive Leakage in Japan KCNA 25 May 2011 -- It was recently disclosed that the U.S. was involved in radioactive materials leakage in Japan.
- Dalai Lama Rejects Ceremonial Head of State Role VOA 25 May 2011 -- Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama has categorically rejected a role as ceremonial head of state for the Tibetan exile administration in India.
- OAS to Vote on Readmission of Honduras VOA 25 May 2011 -- The Organization of American States says it will convene a special General Assembly June 1 to decide on whether to readmit Honduras.
- Azerbaijan Joins Ranks Of Non-Aligned Movement RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Ministers from the 118 members of the Non-Aligned Movement have kicked off a gathering in Indonesia to mark the 50th anniversary of an idea that is still struggling to find its role in the post-Cold War world.
- Georgian opposition in fifth day of protests to oust Saakashvili RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- Several hundred opposition activists gathered outside the Public TV building in the Georgian capital of Tbilisi in a fifth day of protests.
- Thousands Demand Georgian President's Resignation RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Several thousand antigovernment protesters in Georgia are demanding the president's resignation for a fifth day.
- EU Pledges More Funding As It Unveils Revamped Neighborhood Policy RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- The EU has pledged an additional 1.242 billion euros ($1.746 billion) to countries in its immediate neighborhood over the next two years.
- EU foreign policy chief blasts new Khodorkovsky verdict RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton"deeply disappointed" by the decision to uphold verdict in Khodorkovsky-Lebedev case.
- Russia rejects labeling of Khodorkovsky as 'prisoner of conscience' RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- The Russian FM criticized Amnesty International's labeling Mikhail Khodorkovsky as a "prisoner of conscience".
- Amnesty Recognizes Khodorkovsky, Lebedev As 'Prisoners Of Conscience' RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Amnesty International has recognized Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Platon Lebedev as prisoners of conscience.
- Press Conference on Update of Report: World Economic Situation and Prospects 2011, 25 May 2011 United Nations 25 May 2011
- G8 Warned of Pending Food Crisis VOA 25 May 2011 -- G8 leaders are being called on to make stronger ties with Africa a top priority at their meeting in Deauville, France, especially regarding food security and poverty reduction.
- NASA Selects OSIRIS-REx As Next New Frontiers Mission Lockheed Martin 25 May 2011 -- NASA has selected the University of Arizona to lead a sample-return mission to an asteroid. The OSIRIS-REx team is led by Dr. Michael Drake, Director of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory. NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt Md. will manage the mission for NASA. Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] will build the spacecraft.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|