Russian defense minister inspects site of Dagestan attack
MOSCOW, September 5 (RIA Novosti) - Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov personally examined on Sunday the scene of the suicide bombing that killed three soldiers at a military firing range in Russia's North Caucasus republic of Dagestan.
The bomber drove a car full of explosives into the army camp near the Dagestani city of Buinaksk shortly after midnight on Sunday. The Defense Ministry said the three servicemen were killed and more than 30 injured. Five of the wounded are in serious condition.
Defense Ministry spokesman Col. Alexei Kuznetsov said Serdyukov received reports from the commander of the Southern Military District and the commander of the troops camped at the firing range.
The minister ordered a full investigation into the circumstances of the attack and asked for a set of concrete proposals to prevent further attacks on military facilities in the district.
Kuznetsov also said the all 27 lightly and moderately wounded servicemen had been transferred by airplane to the Rostov military hospital.
"All the soldiers received bomb-blast injuries of varying severity. The state of health of the personnel is assessed as stable with no life-threatening injuries," Kuznetsov said.
The ministry said earlier that five of the victims were in serious condition and doctors were fighting to save their lives.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|