Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military

Karadzic to attend Hague trial on April 13 - lawyer

RIA Novosti

03/04/201017:34

SARAJEVO, April 3 (RIA Novosti) - The former Bosnian Serb president, Radovan Karadzic, will appear in court when his trial on war crimes charges resumes in The Hague on April 13, his lawyer said.

"Karadzic intends to fully participate in the judicial process," Peter Robinson was quoted as saying by Serbian media on Saturday.

The International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia said on Thursday that the trial of Karadzic, accused of war crimes in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the 1992-1995 conflict, will resume on April 13. There will be three sessions a week until the end of April, with the court hearing from prosecution witnesses.

Karadzic's trial resumed on March 1 after a four-month break. It originally started on October 26, 2009, but was postponed in early November due to Karadzic's refusal to attend court sessions.

Karadzic, who is defending himself at the trial, claimed he needed at least 10 more months to prepare his defense rather than the three and a half allotted by the court.

Robinson said the former Bosnian Serb leader was disappointed that his request for more time had not been granted.

Karadzic, 64, was arrested last year after more than 12 years in hiding. The crimes he is accused of include the massacre of some 7,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in 1995.

Karadzic insists he is innocent of all charges brought against him.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list