20 September 2008 Military News
- Engineers drop anchors USMC News 20 Sep 2008 -- The lifeblood that helps rebuild the Iraqi infrastructure is commerce, and Iraq's roads and bridges are the veins through which the lifeblood flows.
- Supplying Marines one mile at a time USMC News 20 Sep 2008
- Pakistan's President Warns Against Territorial Violations VOA 20 Sep 2008 -- Pakistani President Asif Zardari addressed Pakistan's parliament for the first time, outlining plans on security policies in the tribal regions.
- USS Nassau, Disaster Recovery Team Offer Aid in Galveston Navy Newsstand 20 Sep 2008 -- The disaster recovery team embarked on Amphibious Assault ship USS Nassau arrived to support Hurricane Ike relief efforts.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Stennis welcomes new commanding officer Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2008 -- USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) received a new commanding officer during a change-of-command ceremony held in the ships hangar bay Sept. 18.
- Carrier Strike Group 3 Change of Command Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2008 -- Carrier Strike Group (CCSG) 3 received a new commander Sept. 12, in a change of command ceremony held aboard USS John C. Stennis.
- COMNAVSURFOR Visits USS Rushmore As Ship Prepares for INSURV Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2008 -- Vice Adm. D.C. Curtis, Commander, Naval Surface Forces (COMNAVSURFOR) and Commander, Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet toured USS Rushmore (LSD 47) Sept. 11, as the ship continued to make preparations for a visit by the Navy's Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV).
- Naval Submarine Training Center Pacific Opens Two New Trainers Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2008 -- The commander of Submarine Force U.S. Pacific Fleet opened two new training facilities at Naval Submarine Training Center Pacific, Naval Station Pearl Harbor Sept. 18.
- Boxer Scores "Direct Hit" with New Missile Guidance System Navy Newsstand 20 Sep 2008 -- USS Boxer returned from an underway, during which the crew tested a new shipboard missile guidance system.
- DSU Tests New Submarine Rescue System with Chilean Submarine Navy Newsstand 20 Sep 2008 -- Deep Submergence Unit tested a new system known as the submarine rescue diving and recompression system.
- NATO plans rapid-reaction force to counter Russian aggression RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2008 -- NATO defense ministers considered the creation of a rapid-response force to be sent into a country threatened by Russia.
- Press Briefing by National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley on the Upcoming United Nations General Assembly The White House 20 Sep 2008
- Abkhazia, S.Ossetia to decide on Russian troops presence -Putin RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2008 -- Abkhazia and South Ossetia will decide on Russian troops' further deployment on their territories.
- Putin Says Georgian Regions to Decide Moscow Troop Presence VOA 20 Sep 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin: Up to South Ossetia and Abkhazia to decide how many Russian troops stay in their territories.
- Israeli Troops Kill Palestinian Youth in West Bank VOA 20 Sep 2008 -- Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian youth in the occupied territories.
- Nigerian Militants Claim another Pipeline Bombing VOA 20 Sep 2008 -- Nigeria's Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta said it had destroyed another oil pipeline in the Niger Delta.
- UN urges Congolese parties to cease fire amid fresh fighting in North Kivu UN News 20 Sep 2008 -- The UN in the Democratic Republic of the Congo called for an immediate ceasefire between the Government and rebels.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|