Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military

Moscow recalls bid for Russia-NATO Council emergency meeting

RIA Novosti

18/08/2008 20:01 BRUSSELS, August 18 (RIA Novosti) - Russia has withdrawn its request for an emergency session of the Russia-NATO Council to address the situation in Georgia's breakaway province of South Ossetia, Moscow's envoy to the military alliance said Monday.

Georgia launched a major ground and air offensive to seize control of South Ossetia on August 8, prompting Russia to send tanks and thousands of troops to the region.

"We do not consider it possible to wait anymore for 'emergency assistance' that has failed to arrive for a week now," Dmitry Rogozin said.

Last week, the United States blocked an emergency meeting requested by Russia over the situation in South Ossetia.

"The American delegation did not even show up at a Preparatory Committee meeting," he said.

Rogozin called Washington's position unconstructive, blaming "the reluctance of our U.S. partners to respond to questions from Russia in the presence of our European partners."

NATO has accused Russia of disproportionate use of force in South Ossetia, while U.S. officials have called into question Russia-NATO military cooperation programs.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list