09 December 2007 Military News
- Press Conference: Rear Adm. Smith, Maj. Gen. Pompegnani, Dec. 9, 2007 MNF-I 09 Dec 2007 -- Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, Multi-National Force - Iraq spokesman, and Italian Maj. Gen. Alessandro Pompegnani, Deputy Commander of the NATO Training Mission, provide updates and answer questions from the media
- NATO, Afghan Forces Launch Offensive Against Taliban VOA 09 Dec 2007 -- NATO and Afghan forces have launched a major offensive in Southern Afghanistan, targeting a key Taliban stronghold
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Ambassador to Cameroon Views Training Aboard Africa Partnership Station Navy NewsStand 09 Dec 2007 -- Her Excellency Janet E. Garvey, U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Cameroon, visited Africa Partnership Station (APS) aboard Amphibious Dock Landing Ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) Dec. 7, where she viewed the afloat training classes.
- Fitzgerald Successfully Refuels at Sea Navy NewsStand 09 Dec 2007 -- USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) successfully completed a replenishment at sea (RAS) Dec. 2, while participating in SHAREM 155, a Ship Anti-Submarine Warfare Readiness and Evaluation Measurement exercise in the western Pacific.
- Big E Visits Jebel Ali for the Final Time Navy NewsStand 09 Dec 2007 -- USS Enterprise (CVN 65) "Big E" left the port of Jebel Ali, United Arab Emirates, for the third and final time, Nov. 20, after a three-day port visit.
- USS Ingraham Visits Takamatsu Navy NewsStand 09 Dec 2007 -- USS Ingraham (FFG 61), part of Tarawa Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG), arrived to Takamatsu for a scheduled port visit Dec. 1, making the first visit by an American ship in over 10 years.
- Electronic Attack Squadron 129 Squadron Augment Unit Changes Command Navy NewsStand 09 Dec 2007 -- Cmdr. James Baca relieved Cmdr. Clark Schroeder as commanding officer of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 129 Squadron Augment Unit (SAU) during a ceremony on board Naval Air Station Whidbey Island on Dec. 1.
- Russia's Lavrov warns against unilateral Kosovo issue solution RIA Novosti 09 Dec 2007 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday that a unilateral solution to the issue of the future status of Serbia's breakaway province of Kosovo could provoke further interethnic violence in the region.
- Russian FM Warns Against Unilateral Move for Kosovo Independence VOA 09 Dec 2007 -- Russia's foreign minister is again warning that any unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia by Kosovo Albanians could provoke separatist unrest in other parts of the world.
- Israel Plans to Keep Jewish Neighborhoods in Disputed E. Jerusalem VOA 09 Dec 2007 -- Days before Israel resumes formal peace talks with the Palestinians, a dispute has erupted over East Jerusalem
- LEBANON: Funds dry up for hospital in impoverished camp IRIN 09 Dec 2007 -- A desperately needed hospital in Lebanon's largest and most violent Palestinian refugee camp has been unable to open on time because funds to buy beds and other basic medical equipment have dried up.
- Pakistan's Musharraf Promises Fair Vote; Opposition Boycott Crumbles VOA 09 Dec 2007 -- Pakistan's President is again promising that next month's elections will be free and fair, as efforts by opposition parties to present a united front appear to have crumbled
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|