24 November 2007 Military News
- Nov. 23 airpower summary: F-16 strike takes out terrorists AFPN 24 Nov 2007
- Suicide Bomber Kills Afghan Schoolchildren, Wounds Italian Soldiers VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Afghan officials say several schoolchildren were among those killed Saturday when a suicide bomber detonated explosives near a group of Italian soldiers who were constructing a bridge.
- Afghanistan: China's Winning Bid For Copper Rights Includes Power Plant, Railroad RFE/RL 24 Nov 2007 -- Afghanistan has awarded a state-owned company in China with the right to develop a large copper field to the south of Kabul, following two years of bidding.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Somalia Swears In New Prime Minister VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Somalia's parliament has sworn in Nur Hassan Hussein as the new prime minister of the war-torn nation.
- Hamas Condemns Arab Decision to Attend Peace Conference VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- The Palestinian militant group Hamas is expressing anger over an Arab endorsement of next week's international peace conference in the United States
- Beirut Quiet, Prime Minister Says Government Assumes Powers VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Lebanon's Prime Minister Fuad Siniora says his care-taker government will temporarily assume the powers of Lebanon's president, until parliament is able to elect a successor to Emile Lahoud, who left office at midnight
- Labor Party Cruises to Victory in Australian Election VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Australia's centre-left Labor Party has swept to power in national elections, handing long-serving Prime Minister John Howard a surprising defeat
- UN Committee Says Torture 'Routine' In Uzbekistan RFE/RL 24 Nov 2007 -- In a highly critical assessment, the United Nations' antitorture panel has concluded that torture and ill-treatment remain "widespread" in Uzbekistan.
- 20 Killed in Suicide Attacks on Pakistani Military Targets in Rawalpindi VOA 24 Nov 2007 -- Two suicide bombers in Pakistan have killed at least 20 people and wounded many more in separate blasts on military targets in Rawalpindi, outside the capital, Islamabad
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|