26 October 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- MND-B unit targeted by EFP during combat operations (Baghdad)
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Mixon from the Pentagon Briefing Room, Arlington, Va. 26 Oct 2007 -- Presenter: Commander of Multinational Division-North and the 25th Infantry Division Maj. Gen. Benjamin Mixon
- Oct. 25 airpower summary: F-16s support coaliton forces AFPN 26 Oct 2007
- Dragon Talon II: Troops detain seven terrorist suspects (Baghdad) MNF-I 26 Oct 2007 -- Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldiers grabbed seven suspected Al Qaeda terrorists during two separate raids in the southern Doura area of the Iraqi capital Oct. 24.
- Air Force moving hybrid battalion into Darfur AFPN 26 Oct 2007 -- Air Force members are providing airlift support to the Rwandan military, moving United Nations armored personnel carriers, Rwandan soldiers, food, medicine and equipment in and out of the Darfur region Oct. 24.
- Wildfire command post stands up at March AFPN 26 Oct 2007 -- The U.S. Army North Command set up an operational command post Oct. 24 here to provide command and control for all Department of Defense forces who are scheduled to arrive in the area to combat the southern California wildfires that have devastated the state.
- Air Force, forest service team to fight California fires AFPN 26 Oct 2007 -- More than 50 years ago, the Air Force and U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service teamed up to equip aircraft with the capability to fight large-scale fires -- a union that is yielding huge dividends in the battle against the raging wildfires that broke out in southern California earlier this week.
- Airmen continue fight on Southern California wildfires AFPN 26 Oct 2007 -- Four specially equipped Modular Airborne Firefighting System C-130 Hercules aircraft joined the massive firefighting effort in Southern California Oct. 23 and continue to fly missions as weakening winds allowed an aerial assault on the state's destructive wildfires.
- Vandenberg firefighters extend helping hand AFPN 26 Oct 2007 -- Vandenberg Air Force Base firefighters answered the call for help in the Southern California area as more than 26 fires that have burned more than 1,800 homes and 550,000 acres in late October.
- Defense Personnel Continue Assault on California Blazes AFPS 26 Oct 2007 -- Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard C-130s fitted with modular air firefighting systems hit the California wildfires hard yesterday, flying 18 sorties, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said today.
- Defense Official Calls Wildfire Response 'Awe-Inspiring' AFPS 26 Oct 2007 -- Thousands of servicemembers have been aggressively and selflessly fighting deadly wildfires this week, a top defense department leader said today.
- Fight Prevailing Against California Fires Army News 26 Oct 2007 -- The Santa Ana winds lost strength in Southern California Thursday, allowing military and civilian firefighters to make progress against wildfires that had blazed across seven counties.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. troops to stay in South Korea after peace treaty - minister RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2007 -- U.S. troops will stay in South Korea after a peace treaty with North Korea is signed, South Korea's foreign minister said on Friday, the Yonhap news agency reported.
- Mullen Pledges Best Effort 'To Prevent Forces From Breaking' AFPS 26 Oct 2007 -- U.S. ground forces are not broken, but they are capable of breaking, the military's highest-ranking officer said last night, while vowing to make relieving strains on troops a top priority.
- U.S. Must Take 'Long View,' Forge Security Partnerships, Mullen Says AFPS 26 Oct 2007 -- Navy Adm. Michael G. Mullen's top priority as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is to widen the scope of U.S. military strategy to look beyond the borders of Iraq and Afghanistan and strengthen security partnerships, the admiral told an audience here last night.
- CNO's Guidance - Executing Maritime Strategy Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- Chief of Naval Operations Guidance for 2007-2008, was released Oct. 26, by Adm. Gary Roughead, the Chief of Naval Operations.
- Surface Nuclear Power Trainer Opens at NBK Bremerton Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- The Navy's second Fleet Interactive Display Equipment (FIDE) Training Simulator of a surface ship's Naval nuclear propulsion plant opened at a new training facility on Naval Base (NB) Kitsap, Bremerton Oct. 19.
- USS Halyburton Crew Helps Rescue Five Civilian Sailors at Sea Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- USS Halyburton (FFG 40) helped rescue five mariners at sea Oct. 25 in the Eastern Pacific Ocean while underway for its current Counter Narcoterrorism (CNT) deployment.
- "Old Ironsides" Celebrates 210th Birthday Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- On Oct. 21, USS Constitution - the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world - turned 210 years old.
- CNO, MCPON Visit NSA Bahrain Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Gary Roughead visited Bahrain Oct. 26 for the first time since Roughead assumed office as the 29th CNO.
- HCC Coordinates Naval Helicopter Operations During San Diego Wildfires Navy NewsStand 26 Oct 2007 -- Commander, Helicopter Maritime Strike Wing Pacific officially established the Helicopter Coordination Center (HCC) here, Oct. 22, to coordinate Navy and Marine helicopters flying in support of firefighters battling the San Diego wildfires.
- Missile Defense Agency to Conduct Ground Test Exercise Missile Defense Agency 26 Oct 2007 -- As part of our continuing emphasis on operationally realistic testing, the Missile Defense Agency will conduct a comprehensive distributed ground test (GTD-02) involving the Ballistic Missile Defense System, to include all fielded sensors, command and control, battle management and communications, and interceptor locations.
- Analysis: "All of the Above" on Defense cfr.org 26 Oct 2007 -- U.S. defense spending, which briefly surfaced earlier this year as a source of political debate in Congress, is drawing new fire following the unveiling of President Bush's latest supplemental funding request for overseas military operations
- Hungary supports CFE Treaty ratification - defense minister RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2007 -- Hungary's defense minister said on Friday that his country would be among the first to ratify the amended Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty if Russia and NATO were to agree on the issue.
- Putin compares U.S. missile defense plans with 1962 Cuban crisis RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2007 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin compared on Friday U.S. missile defense system plans for Central Europe with the 1962 Cuban crisis.
- Press Briefing by Dana Perino The White House 26 Oct 2007
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 26 Oct 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for October 26, 2007
- LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 PROGRAM ACHIEVES CRITICAL MILESTONE Lockheed Martin 26 Oct 2007 -- Electrical power was applied to the Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35B Lightning II for the first time Thursday night, initiating a series of ground tests that will lead to the inaugural flight of the short-takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) stealth fighter next spring.
- Northrop Grumman Achieves Two Major F-35 Production Milestones, Continues Record of On-Time, On Cost Performance Northrop Grumman 26 Oct 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) today completed the center fuselage for the first weight-optimized Air Force F-35 Lightning II aircraft -- a conventional take-off and landing (CTOL) variant designated AF-1.
- General Dynamics UK Leads Team Awarded LISTENER Assessment Phase Contract General Dynamics 26 Oct 2007 -- General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE:GD), has been awarded a contract for the Assessment Phase of the UK Ministry of Defence's LISTENER programme
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 26 Oct 2007
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY NEPAL SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE United Nations 26 Oct 2007
- Security Council likely to extend UN's Mission in Nepal - envoy UN News Centre 26 Oct 2007 -- The Security Council is likely to extend the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Nepal (UNMIN), the head of the operation said today, one day after the 15-member body held closed consultations on the issue.
- Kosovo: Former U.S. Envoy Says It's Decision Time For Europe, Serbs RFE/RL 26 Oct 2007
- Kosovo: Is EU Set To Recognize Independence? RFE/RL 26 Oct 2007 -- Some recent German media reports suggest that Germany and a critical mass of countries within the European Union are prepared to recognize an independent Kosovo if the current round of Belgrade-Pristina negotiations do not produce an agreement.
- PRESS CONFERENCE ON EXTRAJUDICIAL, SUMMARY, ARBITRARY EXECUTIONS United Nations 26 Oct 2007
- CHAD: Peace deal signed to end rebellion IRIN 26 Oct 2007 -- The Chadian government and four of the main rebel groups that had vowed to overthrow the government have signed a peace accord in Libya.
- DRC: Refugee repatriation from Congo gathers pace IRIN 26 Oct 2007 -- Some 16,000 Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) citizens who fled their country during the 1997-2002 conflict to seek refuge in neighbouring Congo have returned to their homes in the northwestern Equateur province this year, under a repatriation programme managed by the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
- On eve of Darfur peace talks, UN envoy stresses need for compromises UN News Centre 26 Oct 2007 -- The parties to the milestone Darfur peace talks starting tomorrow must be flexible and willing to make concessions if they want to reach durable and practical solutions, the United Nations and African Union envoys who will be chairing the talks warned today.
- UN envoy and Japanese officials urge Myanmar to begin talks with opposition UN News Centre 26 Oct 2007 -- In Tokyo today, the United Nations Special Envoy for Myanmar joined senior Japanese officials in calling on authorities in the South-East Asian nation to begin a genuine dialogue with the opposition to resolve the ongoing crisis there.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|