07 October 2007 Military News
- Oct. 6 airpower summary: Refuelers provide global reach AFPN 07 Oct 2007 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations Oct. 6, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- US Military in Iraq Detains 3 Iran-Linked Suspects in British Kidnappings VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- The U.S. military in Iraq says it has detained three Iran-backed Shi'ite militia fighters believed responsible for the kidnapping of five British security contractors earlier this year.
- Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group Enters 7th Fleet Navy NewsStand 07 Oct 2007 -- The Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group (BHRESG) entered the 7th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR) Oct. 7, after nearly four months of operations in the Persian Gulf.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Gates Says US Aid Not Linked to Need for New Latin America Base VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says he did not discuss possible locations for a new U.S. base in Latin America on any of the five stops he made in the region in recent days
- Final Patient Movement Aboard Comfort Navy NewsStand 07 Oct 2007 -- Comfort's last group of 11 patients, escorts and translators were assisted to an MH-60S helicopter the morning of Oct. 7 after receiving medical care aboard hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), as their stay on the ship ended and they returned to the shores of Suriname.
- NECC Establishes Navy Expeditionary Intelligence Command Navy NewsStand 07 Oct 2007 -- The Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC) established the Navy Expeditionary Intelligence Command (NEIC) during a ceremony at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek Oct. 4.
- SECDEF Visits Comfort Navy NewsStand 07 Oct 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense (SECDEF) Robert M. Gates toured hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) Oct. 6 during the ship's humanitarian mission to Paramaribo, Suriname and surrounding areas.
- Gunston Hall Trains with Coast Guard Navy NewsStand 07 Oct 2007 -- Amphibious dock landing ship USS Gunston Hall's (LSD 44) visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS) team trained with a U.S. Coast Guard Tactical Law Enforcement Detachment while underway in the Indian Ocean, Sept. 26-28.
- U.S.: Moscow Talks To Focus On Missile Defense RFE/RL 07 Oct 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Robert Gates will be in Moscow for two days next week for the so-called "two-plus-two" meetings to discuss several bilateral issues with their Russian counterparts, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov.
- Sudan Contests US on Genocide Label for Darfur VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- Sudan's foreign minister says President Bush is wrong to label the bloodletting and violence in the troubled Darfur region as genocide
- Darfur town where AU peacekeepers were attacked burned down - UN UN News Centre 07 Oct 2007 -- The South Darfur town of Haskanita that witnessed a deadly attack against African Union (AU) peacekeepers last weekend has been burned down, the United Nations Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) reported today.
- Olmert Says Peace Conference Will Lead to Talks With Palestinians VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- Israel has signaled that it is ready to resume formal peace talks with the Palestinians
- UNHCR Sees Military Build-up in Eastern Congo VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- The United Nations refugee agency says there are worrying signs that fighting could erupt again among government forces, renegade troops and rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu province
- JORDAN: US$600 million project to end water shortage IRIN 07 Oct 2007 -- Jordan has launched a US$600 million project to pump water from its Disi aquifer in the south, signaling an end in sight to the kingdom's chronic water shortage, experts and government officials say.
- Crackdown Continues in Burma, Diplomatic Debate Rages Abroad VOA 07 Oct 2007 -- The Burmese military government's grip on the political situation is growing steadily tighter
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|