06 October 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Bomb blast targets MND-B patrol
- Oct. 5 airpower summary: maintenance crews keep fleet flying AFPN 06 Oct 2007 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Oct. 5, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- US Military Says 6 Terrorists Killed in Iraq VOA 06 Oct 2007 -- The U.S. military says coalition forces have killed six more terrorists in Iraq
- Suicide Bombing Kills 6 in Afghan Capital VOA 06 Oct 2007 -- Afghan officials say a suicide car bomber has attacked a U.S. military convoy in the capital, Kabul, killing one soldier and five Afghan civilians.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Total force tanker operation comes to Andersen AFPN 06 Oct 2007 -- Airmen here are used to seeing tanker units come and go, but this time a deployed contingent of aerial refueling specialists from Ohio are here to stay for about two months instead of the usual two or three weeks.
- Gates Plans to Increase Humanitarian Missions in Latin America AFPS 06 Oct 2007 -- The U.S. Defense Department will likely increase its humanitarian efforts in Central and South America, as well as support of local police and military forces to help allies in the region combat narco-terrorism and illegal drug and arms trafficking.
- TACRON 21 Changes Command Navy NewsStand 06 Oct 2007 -- Tactical Air Control Squadron (TACRON) 21 held a change of command ceremony at Snug Harbor Beach on Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Oct. 5.
- Gates Meets With Peruvian Leaders, Discusses Security Issues in Peru AFPS 05 Oct 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates met with top Peruvian leaders here yesterday to hear their plans to step-up the fight against drug trafficking along the country's rivers and coasts.
- Seabees, Maritime Civil Affairs Group Forge Partnerships, Friendships in Africa Navy NewsStand 06 Oct 2007 -- U.S. Navy Seabees from Sigonella, Sicily completed their first project working with a representative of the newly formed Maritime Civil Affairs Group rehabilitating a local high school here Oct. 2.
- India expresses disappointment over poll postponement in Nepal IRNA 06 Oct 2007 -- India has expressed its disappointment over the postponement of elections in Nepal.
- Hamas Leader Tells Arab Nations to Boycott Peace Conference VOA 06 Oct 2007 -- The leader of the Hamas government in the Gaza Strip, Ismail Haniyeh, has urged Arab nations not to attend an upcoming U.S.-sponsored Middle East conference that will address a final peace agreement between Israel and the Palestinians.
- UNHCR Security in Darfur Not Possible Without Peace Agreement VOA 06 Oct 2007 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Antonio Guterres, warns that thousands of African Union and UN peacekeepers will be unable to guarantee security in Sudan's conflict-ridden province of Darfur without a comprehensive peace agreement
- Musharraf Wins Presidential Vote as Expected, Victory Not Yet Official VOA 06 Oct 2007 -- Pakistani legislators have cast their votes for president in a controversial election, and President Pervez Musharraf is the victor, as expected
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|