29 July 2007 Military News
- Small arms fire targets MND-B patrol
- MND-B Soldiers attacked
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- July 28 airpower summary: F-16s fly close-air-support missions AFPN 29 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations July 28, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Forces Kill 8 Terrorists, Detain 22 Suspects Today During Operations AFPS 29 Jul 2007 -- Coalition forces killed eight terrorists and detained 22 suspected terrorists during operations today targeting al Qaeda members in central Iraq and the Tigris River valley, officials reported.
- Operation Rogue Thunder: Outpost Established, Cache Discovered MNF-I 29 Jul 2007 -- Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldiers along with Iraqi Army troops conducted Operation Rogue Thunder, establishing a new Coalition outpost in the western Baghdad neighborhood and uncovering a weapons cache July 24.
- Afghan, Coalition Troops Conduct Successful Missions Against Taliban AFPS 29 Jul 2007 -- Afghan National Security Forces, supported by coalition partners, successfully conducted an operation against Taliban fighters in Helmand province this week, military officials reported.
- Taliban Sets New Deadline In Hostage Crisis RFE/RL 29 Jul 2007 -- Taliban insurgents have set a new deadline in the South Korean hostage crisis. The deadline was announced after the Taliban expressed impatience over talks with the Afghan government for the release of 22 South Korean hostages.
- Taleban Sets Noon Monday as Hostage Deadline VOA 29 Jul 2007 -- Afghanistan's Taleban says the group will begin killing some of its 22 South Korean hostages unless the government agrees to release Taleban prisoners by noon (local time) Monday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Coalition Task Force Surveys North Persian Gulf Seabed Navy NewsStand 29 Jul 2007 -- A coalition team comprised of Royal Navy divers and U.S. Navy divers conducted sea-floor survey operations around Iraq's two oil platforms in the northern Persian Gulf July 9-26.
- Air National Guard Underway on USNS Comfort Navy NewsStand 29 Jul 2007 -- For six weeks, Air National Guard and active-duty Air Force members hailing from 30 different commands across the country have united together to provide dentistry services with the team aboard hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20).
- Comfort Serves Patient Meal No. 4,000 Navy NewsStand 29 Jul 2007 -- After just five weeks, hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) served patient meal number 4,000 July 28.
- Israel Says No Objections to US Gulf Arms Deal VOA 29 Jul 2007 -- Israel's Prime Minister on Sunday said he has no objections to a proposed massive U.S. arms sale to Saudi Arabia and other Gulf States
- US Ambassador Expects UN Darfur Resolution This Week VOA 29 Jul 2007 -- Washington's envoy to the United Nations, Zalmay Khalilzad, says he expects the world body to agree this week on a resolution to send a combined U.N.-African Union force to the war-torn Sudanese region of Darfur
- Brown, Bush Meet to Build Ties VOA 29 Jul 2007 -- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown is in the United States for his first meeting with President Bush since taking office in late June
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|