28 July 2007 Military News
- July 27 airpower summary: F-15Es provide overwatch AFPN 28 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations July 27, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Operation Iron Blitz: Caches found, car bomb factory located, kidnapping victim freed MNF-I 28 Jul 2007 -- Multi-National Division - Baghdad Soldiers located multiple weapons and munitions caches, located a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device factory and rescued a kidnapping victim in northwest Baghdad July 26.
- Afghans Continue Talks On South Korean Hostages ZRFE/RL 28 Jul 2007 -- Negotiations to free 22 South Korean hostages seized by Taliban militants resumed today in Afghanistan.
- Afghan Elders Join in Talks For Release of South Korean Hostages VOA 28 Jul 2007 -- A team of Afghan mediators consisting of government lawmakers and tribal elders is holding negotiations in Afghanistan's Ghazni province for the release of 22 South Koreans kidnapped by the Taleban 10 days ago.
Defense Policy / Programs
- President of El Salvador, U.S. Ambassador Tour Comfort Navy NewsStand 28 Jul 2007 -- The hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) hosted President Elias Antonio Saca of El Salvador along with other El Salvadoran officials July 27 during Comfort's visit to Acajutla.
- Safeguard Completes Final Underway Navy NewsStand 28 Jul 2007 -- "Underway" was announced for the last time on board USS Safeguard (ARS 50) as the ship completed an ammunition offload, July 25, in preparation for decommissioning and transfer to the Military Sealift Command in September.
- US to Announce New Middle East Arms Deal VOA 28 Jul 2007 -- U.S. officials say the Bush administration is expected to ask Congress to approve a major arms sale package for Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf nations, partly to counter Iran's rising influence in the region.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|