17 June 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Air Force Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Task Force Lightning Soldier attacked
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers attacked
- June 16 airpower summary: C-17s deliver power, reach AFPN 17 Jun 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations June 16, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- FRCSW Sailors Keeping It Cool in Bahrain, Iraq Navy NewsStand 17 Jun 2007 -- Six Fleet Readiness Center Southwest (FRCSW) Sailors are lending their expertise in air conditioning and related equipment to make life a little easier for war fighters at Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department (AIMD) detachment sites in Bahrain beginning June 1.
- Iraqi, Coalition Forces Detain 52 Suspects, Kill 29 Insurgents AFPS 17 Jun 2007 -- In operations throughout Iraq the past several days, Iraqi and coalition forces killed 29 insurgents, detained 52 suspects, and found various bomb-making material and ammunition, military officials reported.
- Joint Operation Ardennes detains 2 MNF-I 17 Jun 2007 -- Iraqi Security Forces and Fort Richardson Paratroopers conducted a joint raid in Muwayllihah, Iraq, to deny insurgents refuge and prevent them from emplacing improvised explosive devices June 14.
- At Least 35 Killed in Bomb Attack on Police Bus in Kabul VOA 17 Jun 2007 -- A powerful explosion has ripped through a police bus in the Afghan capital, and local officials say at least 35 people were killed and many others seriously injured
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Detain Suspects, Find Weapons AFPS 17 Jun 2007 -- Afghan and coalition forces detained five suspects, killed enemy fighters, and discovered weapons caches in operations in Afghanistan in the past three days, military officials reported.
- AFGHANISTAN: UN urges ceasefire for polio immunisation drive IRIN 17 Jun 2007 -- The UN has called upon all sides of the conflict between insurgents and government and international forces in the south, east and southeast of Afghanistan to cease fighting for a three-day polio immunisation drive beginning on 17 June.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Australian Soldiers Board ESG 7 Ships for Talisman Saber Navy NewsStand 17 Jun 2007 -- Landing on a U.S. amphibious assault ship at sea from a Marine Corps helicopter was just one of many firsts for the command staff of the Australian Army's 3rd Brigade (3BDE), who arrived on USS Essex (LHD 2) June 12, while another element of the 2nd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment embarked USS Juneau (LPD 10).
- BHR Holds Change of Command Ceremony in Bahrain Navy NewsStand 17 Jun 2007 -- Capt. Neil R. Parrott relieved Capt. Steve Greene as commanding officer of USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) (BHR) here June 14 during a ceremony in the ship's hangar bay.
- Task Group 40.0 Departs Iquique After Completing Navy NewsStand 17 Jun 2007 -- Team Work South concluded in Iquique on June 12 with a port visit by ships from Task Group 40.0, deployed for Partnership of the Americas (POA) 2007.
- 60 Russian defense producers to attend Le Bourget air show RIA Novosti 17 Jun 2007 -- At least 60 Russian defense sector companies will showcase their products at the world's most prestigious annual air show at Le Bourget near Paris next week.
- Abbas Swears In Emergency Palestinian Government VOA 17 Jun 2007 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has sworn in a new cabinet, just hours after he overruled constitutional limits on his authority and established an emergency government
- OPT: Aid agencies back to work in the Gaza Strip IRIN 17 Jun 2007 -- UN agencies and many humanitarian organisations resumed full operations in the Gaza Strip on 17 June after internecine violence last week brought their activities to a standstill.
- Palestinian govt. without Hamas a partner - Israel PM RIA Novosti 17 Jun 2007 -- Israel's premier has said a new Palestinian government without the radical Islamic movement Hamas is a partner, which raises hopes for further peace talks.
- Mideast negotiators agree new Palestinian govt. legitimate RIA Novosti 17 Jun 2007 -- A quartet of mediators in the Middle East conflict agreed Sunday that the Palestinian leader's decision to dissolve a coalition government and form an emergency Cabinet is legitimate, a joint statement said.
- Former Serbian Minister Arrested in Montenegro RFE/RL 17 Jun 2007 -- Authorities in Montenegro have arrested a former Serbian government official and police commander wanted in The Hague for murder and persecution of ethnic Albanians in Kosovo.
- Astrium and Thales Alenia Space win Arabsat contract for 5th generation satellites Thales 17 Jun 2007 -- Arabsat, the 30-year old leading Arab communications satellite operator based in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, has selected a consortium of European companies Astrium and Thales Alenia Space to build their 5th Generation satellites. A firm contract for the two first satellites, Arabsat-5A and BADR-5, was signed in Riyadh on 16 June 2007.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|