09 June 2007 Military News
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers attacked
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- June 8 airpower summary: Recon aircraft support warfighters AFPN 09 Jun 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations June 8, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Suicide Car Bomber Kills 12 Soldiers South of Baghdad VOA 09 Jun 2007 -- Iraqi authorities say a suicide car bomber killed at least 12 soldiers Saturday south of Baghdad.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia urges U.S. to shelve missile plans, look for alternatives RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2007 -- Russia's foreign minister said Saturday the U.S. should put on hold moves to deploy a missile shield in Europe pending talks on Moscow's recent offer to jointly use a radar in Azerbaijan.
- First deputy PM says Russian radar proposal most effective RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2007 -- A Russian first deputy prime minister said Saturday that the joint U.S.-Russian use of a radar in Azerbaijan would be the most effective way of controlling any missile launches from a southerly direction.
- Bush Says Kosovo 'Time Is Up' RFE/RL 09 Jun 2007 -- U.S. President George W. Bush has said "time is up" for resolving the question of Kosovo's future status.
- Palestinian militants infiltrate Israeli border, gunfight ensues RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2007 -- Four Palestinian gunmen rammed an armored jeep through a security fence on Gaza's border with Israel, and opened fire on Israeli troops' positions, local radio said Saturday, citing a spokesman for the militant groups involved.
- Lebanese Army Tightens Grip on Palestinian Militants VOA 09 Jun 2007 -- Three more Lebanese soldiers were killed and at least a dozen injured Saturday in stepped-up clashes with Islamic militants hiding out in a Palestinian refugee camp, as fighting entered its 20th day
- Somalia's Government Confirms Opposition Coalition Being Formed in Eritrea VOA 09 Jun 2007 -- Somalia's interim Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi has confirmed a story reported by VOA on Friday about a coalition being established in Eritrea, composed of groups opposed to the Somali government and its main backer, Ethiopia
- Putin: Moscow Still Against Kosovo Independence VOA 09 Jun 2007 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has assured Serbian Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica that Moscow's position on Serbia's breakaway Kosovo province has not changed.
- Sri Lankan Troops Destroy 4 Rebel Bases, Kill 30 VOA 09 Jun 2007 -- Sri Lanka's military says troops destroyed four Tamil Tiger rebel bases in the island's restive east during fierce fighting that killed 30 rebels.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|