02 June 2007 Military News
- MNC-I Soldier attacked
- Small arms fire targets MND-B patrol
- MND-B patrol targeted by small arms fire
- Soldier dies of wounds from IED strike
- Coalition Forces in Iraq Kill One, Capture Eight VOA 02 May 2007 -- Coalition Forces in Iraq say they have killed one terrorist and detained eight suspected terrorists, including an alleged senior leader of the al-Qaida in Iraq group.
- US Navy Ships Fire on Northern Somalia Village VOA 02 May 2007 -- Officials in Somalia say U.S. naval warships have bombarded a remote coastal village where suspected Islamist insurgents had set up a base.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Gates: New U.S.-China Hotline Represents 'Step Forward' AFPS 02 May 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates today lauded movement toward establishing a defense hotline between the United States and China. He called it "another step forward" in the two countries' developing relationship.
- US Defense Secretary Sounds Softer Note on China's Military Build-up VOA 02 May 2007 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has softened his county's rhetoric about China's military buildup, telling a regional security conference in Singapore that he sees "reason to be optimistic" about the U.S.-China relationship
- Transcript: Press Conference with Secretary Gates at Shangri-La Dialogue, Singapore 02 May 2007 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- U.S. Commitment to Asia Is Unwavering, Defense Secretary Declares Washington File 02 Jun 2007 -- Contrary to the perceptions of some, the United States remains deeply committed to a strong, vibrant partnership with Asia across the full spectrum of economic, political, and security dimensions, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said in a broad-ranging policy address in Singapore June 2.
- Navy Divers Train With Philippine Counterparts for CARAT 2007 Navy NewsStand 02 May 2007 -- A crew of 11 Navy divers attached to Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit One (MDSU-1) Det. 11, embarked aboard USS Harpers Ferry (LSD 49), departed for the Philippines on May 28 to conduct underwater diving training with the Philippine Navy.
- Pacific Partnership 2007 Launches Aboard USS Peleliu Navy NewsStand 02 May 2007 -- Pacific Partnership 2007 was officially launched June 1 as USS Peleliu (LHA 5), a multimission amphibious ship, departed Pearl Harbor for Southeast Asia and Oceania.
- Northrop Grumman-built Truxtun (DDG 103) Christening Commemorates a Founding Father of the U.S. Navy Northrop Grumman 02 Jun 2007 -- In a traditional ceremony here Saturday, the U.S. Navy's 53rd Aegis guided missile destroyer, Truxtun (DDG 103), built by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC), was christened before more than 1,000 guests.
- Lebanese Army Intensifies Campaign Against Militants VOA 02 Jun 2007 -- For a second day, the Lebanese Army intensified its shelling of Islamist militants holed-up in a Palestinian refugee camp in northern Lebanon
- Fighting Continues at Northern Lebanon Refugee Camp VOA 02 May 2007 -- Lebanese authorities say fighting has resumed between government troops and Islamists entrenched in a Palestinian refugee camp near the northern city of Tripoli.
- US Official Calls on Maoists in Nepal to Renounce Violent Ways VOA 02 May 2007 -- A U.S. government official has called for an end to Maoist violence in Nepal, where the country's former rebels are making a jerky transition from armed insurgents to mainstream politicians
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|