20 May 2007 Military News
- Roadside bomb strikes MND-B patrol
- 13SC (E) unit attacked
- May 19 airpower: Tankers provide key air bridge AFPN 20 May 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations May 19, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Coalition Forces Detain Nine in Search for Missing Soldiers AFPS 20 May 2007 -- Coalition forces detained 11 people during operations yesterday, including nine suspected of involvement in the May 12 kidnapping of three U.S. soldiers.
- Operation Harris Ba'sil Knocks Enemy Off Balance AFPS 20 May 2007 -- Operation Harris Ba'sil has wrapped up after helping knock enemy forces in Iraq's western Anbar province off balance, officials involved in the operation reported today.
- Multiple Terror Suspects Killed, Captured in Iraq; Safe House Destroyed AFPS 20 May 2007 -- Coalition forces killed eight terrorists and detained 34 suspected terrorists during two operations today to disrupt the al Qaeda command network, Defense Department officials said.
- Samarra Operational Update MNF-I 20 May 2007 -- The standard nighttime curfew in Samarra remains in effect from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. for all vehicles and from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. for pedestrian traffic; this is the same curfew that has been in place since May 10
- Bush, NATO Secretary-General Meet on Afghan Violence VOA 20 May 2007 -- President Bush is meeting with NATO's Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer at his ranch in Texas to discuss a wide range of topics, including increasing violence in Afghanistan.
- Afghan National Army, Coalition Soldiers Battle Enemy in Kapisa AFPS 20 May 2007 -- Enemy forces attacked elements of 1st Kandak, 1st Brigade, 201st Afghan National Army Corps and coalition forces in the Al Asay Valley of Kapisa province, Afghanistan, close to midnight on May 18, Defense Department officials reported.
- Suicide Bombing in Eastern Afghanistan Kills 10 VOA 20 May 2007 -- Authorities in Afghanistan say a suicide bomber has killed at least 10 people and wounded nearly 35 others in the eastern part of the country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Guantanamo Bay Detainee David Hicks Back Home in Australia VOA 20 May 2007 -- Convicted Australian terrorism supporter David Hicks is back home and behind bars after a flight from the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay
- Multinational Navies Perform Naval Surface Fire Support Evolution Navy NewsStand 20 May 2007 -- Ships from a NATO coalition force successfully completed a naval surface fire support (NSFS) and a combined sea and air fire support mission off the coast of Scotland during the Neptune Warrior course May 1.
- USS Bainbridge CIC Participates in Neptune Warrior Navy NewsStand 20 May 2007 -- The Combat Information Center (CIC) aboard USS Bainbridge (DDG 96), played a vital role during the Neptune Warrior training course from April 23-May 3.
- Israel Plans Strikes in Gaza as Palestinians Cement Truce VOA 20 May 2007 -- Israel plans take tougher military action against Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip
- Many Dead as Lebanese Army Battles Militants in Palestinian Camp VOA 20 May 2007 -- About 40 people are reported killed in fierce gunbattles between the Lebanese army and members of an Islamic extremist group in northern Lebanon
- Humanitarian Situation in Sri Lanka Deteriorating VOA 20 May 2007 -- The World Food Program warns renewed fighting in Sri Lanka's long-running civil war is worsening the humanitarian situation for hundreds of thousands of civilians
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|