12 May 2007 Military News
- 89th Military Police Brigade Soldier attacked
- Search Under Way in Iraq for Three Missing Coalition Soldiers VOA 12 May 2007 -- A massive search operation is under way south of Baghdad for three members of a U.S.-led patrol that came under attack Saturday morning
- Five Troops in US-Led Patrol Killed, Three Missing in Attack South of Baghdad VOA 12 May 2007 -- The U.S. military says five soldiers were killed and three are missing from a pre-dawn attack on a U.S.-led coalition patrol south of Baghdad.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Congress to Debate Iraq War, Immigration VOA 12 May 2007 -- U.S. lawmakers begin debate on reforming the nation's immigration laws in the coming week
- Bush Administration Eases Restrictions on Guantanamo Prisoners VOA 12 May 2007 -- The U.S. Justice Department has withdrawn one of the many proposals aimed at restricting attorney access to detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Raptors return from historical deployment AFPN 12 May 2007 -- The first overseas deployment of America's newest fighter aircraft ended when the stealthy planes arrived here May 11.
- Task Group 40.0 in UNITAS Work-Up Phase Navy NewsStand 12 May 2007 -- Partnership of the Americas (POA) Task Group 40.0 completed the work-up phase of UNITAS 48-07 May 4-7.
- Ukrainian Sailors Discover New Partners Aboard USS Mount Whitney Navy NewsStand 12 May 2007 -- Ukrainian Navy sailors are temporarily aboard USS Mount Whitney (LCC/JCC 20) to familiarize themselves with U.S. Navy protocol and improve overall cohesiveness.
- Joint Personnel Learn About Gumby During Abandon Ship Drill Navy NewsStand 12 May 2007 -- Mount Whitney Sailors and joint embarked staff took advantage of being underway during exercise Flexible Leader 07 by conducting an abandon ship drill May 8.
- Fleet Composite Squadron Simulates Live Air Attack During UNITAS 48-07 Navy NewsStand 12 May 2007 -- Firing two BQM-74E target drones off the Dock Landing Ship USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52) flight decks, the Fleet Composite (VC) 6 Squadron supported the UNITAS exercise underway in the Atlantic by simulating a live-air attack May 7.
- Navy Assists in Catalina Wildfire Navy NewsStand 12 May 2007 -- Sailors of Assault Craft Unit (ACU) 5 from Camp Pendleton, Calif., are currently assisting Southern California firefighters in battling a wildfire that broke out on Santa Catalina Island May 10.
- US Commander Calls Chinese Interest in Aircraft Carriers 'Understandable' VOA 12 May 2007 -- The commander of U.S. forces in the Pacific says China's interest in developing an aircraft carrier fleet is 'understandable,' and that the United States would be willing to help
- Guinea President Dismisses Top Military Officials VOA 12 May 2007 -- Guinea's President Lansana Conte has dismissed several top military officials, including the minister of defense, after a week of protests by soldiers angry over back pay and military leadership
- In Mogadishu, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator urges aid to civilians UN News Centre 12 May 2007 -- The United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator today became the highest-ranking UN official to visit Somalia's capital Mogadishu since the early 1990s, and amid continued violence called for increased relief aid to civilians there.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|