18 March 2007 Military News
- Improvised explosive device strikes MND-B patrol
- Task Force Lightning Soldier dies in non-combat related incident
- Marine casualty in combat operations in Al-Anbar
- Task Force Lightning Soldier killed
- March 10-16: The week in airpower AFPN 18 Mar 2007 -- In Afghanistan this week 289 close air support missions were flown in support of the International Security Assistance Force and Afghan troops, reconstruction activities and route patrols.
- Suspected Terrorists Captured, Killed in Iraq; Weapons Caches Found AFPS 18 Mar 2007 -- Coalition forces nabbed numerous suspected terrorists and uncovered several weapons caches in operations in Iraq over the past few days, military officials reported.
- Baghdad Car Bombing Kills 3 in Mainly Shi'ite Neighborhood VOA 18 Mar 2007 -- Iraqi officials say a car bombing at a busy market at a northern Baghdad market has killed three people.
- U.S. Refutes Taliban Claim of Shooting Down Helicopter in Afghanistan AFPS 18 Mar 2007 -- U.S. military officials refuted a Taliban claim that they shot down a U.S. helicopter in Afghanistan's Nuristan province on March 16.
- AFGHANISTAN: Rights watchdogs urge regulation of US-led military operations IRIN 18 Mar 2007 -- An international rights watchdog and Afghanistan's leading rights group have called on the US and Afghan governments to create a legal framework to regulate US-led military activities in the country
Defense Policy / Programs
- Gates Says Committed to Fixing Walter Reed Problems, Praises Medical Staff AFPS 18 Mar 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates acknowledged today on CBS's "Face the Nation" that he was "angered and offended" when he learned of problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, but recognizes they don't reflect on the hospital's top-notch medical staff.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Operates with JMSDF Ships Navy NewsStand 18 Mar 2007 -- The Ronald Reagan Carrier Strike Group (RRCSG) took part in a passing exercise (PASSEX) with the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) in the Philippine Sea March 16-18.
- Commander ESG 7 Embarks USS Harpers Ferry For a First-Hand Look Navy NewsStand 18 Mar 2007 -- Commander, Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 7, Rear Adm. Carol M. Pottenger embarked landing dock ship USS Harpers Ferry (LSD 49) March 14, at Iwo Jima, Japan to observe operational readiness.
- White House Says US Will Not Resume Palestinian Aid VOA 18 Mar 2007 -- The change in the Palestinian leadership has apparently led to no change in Bush administration policy
- Israeli Cabinet Rejects New Palestinian Unity Government VOA 18 Mar 2007 -- The Israeli Cabinet has overwhelmingly rejected a new Palestinian unity government in which militants and moderates share power
- US May Work with Non-Hamas Members of Palestinian Government VOA 18 Mar 2007 -- The United States says it may be willing to work with some officials in the new Palestinian unity government, but will maintain a ban on contact with members of Hamas including the prime minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|