28 January 2007 Military News
- HELICOPTER GOES DOWN NORTH OF NAJAF
- 89TH MILITARY POLICE BRIGADE PATROL ATTACKED BY IED
- ROADSIDE BOMB STRIKES SECURITY PATROL
- MNF-W PERSONNEL ATTACKED
- IED STRIKES MND-B PATROL NORTH OF BAGHDAD
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Jan. 28 AFPN 28 Jan 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Jan. 28.
- 14 Enemy Fighters Killed, Dozens Nabbed in Recent Iraq Operations AFPS 28 Jan 2007 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces killed 14 terrorists and captured dozens of suspected insurgents during operations conducted in Iraq today and over the past week, officials said.
- Iraqi Forces Battle Militants As Ashura Pilgrims Gather RFE/RL 28 Jan 2007 -- Iraqi police report that some 250 gunmen were killed today in a battle against Iraqi security forces backed by U.S. helicopters near the holy city of Al-Najaf, south of Baghdad.
- Iraqi Police: More Than 250 Insurgents Killed in Battle Near Najaf VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- Iraqi police say U.S. and Iraqi forces have killed more than 250 insurgents in a day-long battle near the Shi'ite holy city of Najaf.
- Attacks Kill 15 in Baghdad, Including Senior Iraqi Official VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- Violence continued in Iraq Sunday. Attacks in Baghdad killed at least 15 people
- US House Speaker Pelosi Meets Afghan President Karzai VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- The speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, met with Afghan President Hamid Karzai Sunday while on a short visit to Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Completes Report on Israeli Use of Cluster Bombs in Lebanon VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- The State Department has completed a report on whether Israel misused American-made cluster bombs during the war with Hezbollah militants in Lebanon last year.
- Rival Palestinian Factions Clash in Gaza for Fourth Day VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- Rival Palestinian factions have clashed in the Gaza Strip for the fourth straight day.
- UN Secretary General Pledges Darfur Pressure VOA 28 Jan 2007 -- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says he will put pressure on Sudan to find a solution for the humanitarian crisis in the Darfur region
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|