27 January 2007 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 29 Jan 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- ONE TASK FORCE LIGHTNING SOLDIER KILLED
- MULTI-NATIONAL CORPS-IRAQ UNIT ATTACKED IN DIYALA PROVINCE
- IED STRIKES MND-B PATROL IN EAST BAGHDAD
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Jan. 27 AFPN 27 Jan 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Jan. 27.
- Camp Lejeune-based Regimental Combat Team 2 relieves Twentynine Palms unit in western Al Anbar MNF-I 27 Jan 2007 -- Regimental Combat Team 2, based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., officially assumed responsibility for western Al Anbar Province, Iraq, Saturday.
- Baghdad Car Bombs Kill 15 And Wound Dozens; Eight Abducted RFE/RL 27 Jan 2007 -- At least 15 people were reported killed and more than 30 others injured in two car bomb attacks in Baghdad today.
- USS Hawes Deploys in Support of Maritime Security Operations Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2007 -- More than 200 Sailors aboard the guided missile frigate USS Hawes (FFG 53) departed their homeport in Norfolk Jan. 27, for a six-month deployment to the U.S. European Command and Central Command areas of operation.
- Rice Says Success in Afghanistan Requires Coordinated Efforts Washington File 27 Jan 2007 -- Success in Afghanistan requires a coordinated international approach combining military, political, economic and reconstruction efforts, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says after meeting with NATO foreign ministers in Brussels, Belgium, January 26.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Successful Missile Defense Intercept Test Takes Place Off Hawaii MDA 29 Jan 2007 -- Missile Defense Agency Director Lieutenant General Henry "Trey" Obering announced that a planned intercept test for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense element was successfully conducted today at 12:20 a.m. EST (January 26, 7:20 p.m. Hawaii Time) at the Pacific Missile Range Facility off the island of Kauai in Hawaii
- USS Lake Champlain Surge Deploys Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2007 -- The guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) surge deployed from Naval Base San Diego Jan. 27, with USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) as part of the Reagan Carrier Strike Group (CSG).
- USS Thach Attends ATFP Training Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2007 -- USS Thach (FFG 43) Sailors participated in the anti-terrorism force protection (ATFP) tactics course at Afloat Training Group (ATG), Pacific at Naval Base San Diego Jan. 25.
- Russia Questions U.S. Military Buildup In Mideast RFE/RL 27 Jan 2007 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said today that Moscow expects Washington to explain the growing U.S. military presence in the Middle East.
- Russia awaits U.S. explanation on military buildup in Mideast-FM RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2007 -- Moscow expects the United States to explain its growing military presence in the Middle East, Russia's foreign minister said Saturday.
- New Palestinian Clashes in Gaza Leave Two Dead VOA 27 Jan 2007 -- At least two Palestinian men were killed on Saturday in the Gaza Strip in clashes between the Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah
- Sri Lankan Navy Sinks Three Tamil Tiger Boats VOA 27 Jan 2007 -- Sri Lankan officials say military forces sank three Tamil Tiger rebel boats trying to attack the main port of Colombo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|