23 October 2004 Military News
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- IRAQ / WRAP VOA 23 Oct 2004 -- Two suicide car bombings Saturday killed at least 20 Iraqi police officers and National guardsmen. And, a mortar attack in central Baghdad killed at least two civilians.
- MNF-I Raids Top Zarqawi Leader Safe Haven MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Oct 2004 -- A safe haven in southern Fallujah, used by a member of the Abu Musab al Zarqawi inner circle, was raided at 1:30 a.m. Oct. 23 as Multi-National Force-Iraq continued to put pressure on Zarqawi's network, whittling away at his support base.
- MNF-I notes Zarqawi Network Moving Away From Inner Fallujah MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Oct 2004 -- Multi-National Force-Iraq intelligence indicates that Zarqawi followers are starting to move to outlying areas of Fallujah in a continuing attempt to hide amidst the civilian population of Fallujah due to precision strikes against Zarqawi hideouts and fighting positions.
- Roadside Bomb Wounds Six Soldiers MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Oct 2004 -- An improvised explosive device detonated on a Task Force Baghdad patrol at approximately 7:15 a.m. today, wounding six Soldiers in western Baghdad.
- Tikrit Police and Multinational Forces 'Clean' City's Streets MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Oct 2004 -- The Tikrit Iraqi Police Service officers and multinational forces conducted a large cordon and search mission in the city, in the last 10 days, intending to drive anti-Iraqi forces out of the city.
- AFGHANISTAN BOMBING VOA 23 Oct 2004 -- Officials in Afghanistan say an apparent suicide bombing has injured at least seven people in downtown Kabul's market district. The bomber was reportedly killed in the blast.
- Pakistan tribesmen, soldiers step up militants` hunt IRNA 23 Oct 2004 -- Pakistani tribesmen and soldiers on Saturday jointly launched house-to-house search in South Waziristan tribal region to capture leader of al Qaeda-linked militant leader Abdullah Mehsud, who is wanted for kidnapping two Chinese engineers this month, one of whom was killed.
Defense Policy / Programs
- ESG 5 Completes COMPTUEX Navy NewsStand 23 Oct 2004 -- Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG) 5 completed a Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) off the coast of Southern California in October.
- KOSOVO/ELECTIONS VOA 23 Oct 2004 -- General elections are under way in the U.N.-administered province of Kosovo. Stefan Bos reports from Budapest, minority Serbs appear to be largely boycotting the vote.
- BURMA / POLITICS VOA 23 Oct 2004 -- Officials in Burma say they will resume the national convention to draft a constitution at the end of the rainy season next month. The announcement comes just days after the firing of the nation's prime minister.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|