Military


Wildflecken, Germany

Wildflecken is the German army's Battle Exercises Simulation System Center. Wildflecken is on the old border between East and West Germany, in northernmost Bavaria in the middle of the Fulda Gap. The area is about 15k acres in Bavaria and 3k in Hessen, east of Wasser Kuppe (water cup) with Fulda being west of the same. It had a distinct Alpine tone.

The 100th Area Support Group (ASG) originally included four base support battalions (BSBs): the 281st in Vilseck, the 282nd in Hohenfels, the 283rd in Wildflecken, and the 409th in Grafenwoehr. In 1994 the 283rd Base Support Battalion inactivated and the Wildflecken Training Area returned to German control. Wildflecken was a NATO training post -- the US ran it but most NATO countries came there to train.

During the Cold War the Wildflecken Maneuver Training Area was one of three Major Training Areas -- Grafenwoehr, Hohenfels and Wildflecken. These facilities were established and developed by the German army. The Wildflecken installation began in 1936 as The German Supreme Army training post. Some insist that the name means other things, but flecken means "spot", hence, "Wildspot". It was used during WWII for POWs.

The "American Era" began with the end of World War II in 1945. The two big training areas taken over from the Nazis were Wildflecken and Grafenwoehr in Bavaria. Along with Graphenwoher and Hoenfels, Wildflecken is (or was) one of the largest manuver areas available to US forces in Europe. By 1988 an engineer task force planning the construction of a $22 million tank gunnery range at Wildflecken Training Area, Germany. Wildflecken is a famed and feared Army Training Area. The US Troops and later on the NATO troops went up there to do combat-training.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list