Ledward Barracks is home to the 280th Base Support Battalion; 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry; 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery; 9th Engineer Battalion; B-Detachment, 38th Personnel Service Battalion; 630th Military Police Company; C-Detachment 106th Finance Battalion; the U.S. Army Health Clinic, Schweinfurt; and a number of community support businesses and organizations.
A March 2001 force-protection exercise in the Schweinfurt military community that involved about 100 soldiers from various Army units testing their response to bomb scenarios, a hostage crisis, fires and protests. The exercise began in the morning with a fake bomb appearing at the Schweinfurt military post office on Ledward Barracks. Soldiers were called to clear the area and disarm the bomb. Next, soldiers were asked to respond to reports of a hostage crisis. And by midafternoon, soldiers had to respond to the protest at the front gate. Military police, infantry soldiers, Criminal Investigation Division, U.S. Army Fire Department, Schweinfurt postal employees and Schweinfurt clinic workers all joined in the exercise. The local national volunteer fire department and ambulance workers also participated. Part of the Immediate Ready Force also was used during the exercise to show how quickly they can protect an area. The IRF is a quick response force that provides Army assistance wherever needed.
Construction of the Panzer Kaserne was completed in 1936. The Panzer's 4th Tank Regiment was deployed to fight in Austria between 1937 and 1938. The Fourth was replaced by the 36th Tank Regiment. Other units assigned to the Kaserne included an Armored Artillery battalion and an Armored Infantry Regiment. Hungarian troops and an anti-aircraft battalion were also stationed here. The Panzer Kaserne was much larger during the Second World War than it is today. Modern day Ledward Barracks does not include areas of the former post such as the Mercedes plant or the city bus garage. Extensive bomb damage during the war destroyed much of the kaserne. Immediately following Schweinfurt's surrender in 1945 the kaserne was used as a refugee camp for displaced Estonians, Yugoslavs, Lithuanians, and Poles. US Consulate Offices were also located here.
The Panzer Kaserne was renamed Ledward Barracks in honor of LTC William J. Ledward. Colonel Ledward was killed in action in Italy, June 1944. He was the Commanding Officer of the 27th Armored Field Artillery Battalion. The US Army took control of Ledward Barracks in 1948.
In 1951, in conjunction with the deployment of three additional US divisions to Germany, the 16th Infantry Regiment of the 1st Infantry Division occupied Ledward Barracks in Schweinfurt. As of the mid-1980s the 3rd Squadron, 7th Cavalry, 3rd Infantry Division was stationed at Ledward Barracks, Schweinfurt West Germany.
Located on Ledward Barracks in Schweinfurt Germany, Bravo Detachment 38th PSB provides support and services to military personnel and their families in Schweinfurt.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|