Henderson Hall encompasses 22.3 acres of land located in Arlington, Virginia. The facility provides barracks and support for Marines assigned to Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps as well as certain schools and agencies within the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area.
With the expansion of the Marine Corps in World War II, and the move of Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps to the Navy Annex Building on November 10, 1941, the organization of a Headquarters and Service Company was effected on March 1, 1942 to support the personnel of Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps. Subsequent revisions and unit redesignations occurred with the designation of Headquarters Battalion on April 1, 1943. A second Headquarters Battalion of Women Marine Reserves was organized in September 1943 to provide barracks for a portion of the 2,658 women assigned. During August 1946 a substancial number of Women Marines were released from active duty making Henderson Hall barracks available for the billeting of Male Marines.
Henderson Hall is located on South Southgate Road in Arlington, Virginia on the southern border of Arlington National Cemetery, north of the Navy Annex, west of the Pentagon and right next door to Fort Myer. The lands associated with Henderson Hall were acquired through deeds and other actions between 1943 and 1952. The Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia executed a Deed of Cession of Political Jurisdiction to the United States of America on February 15, 1954.
There is no family housing located on board Henderson Hall. Marines stationed at Henderson Hall are authorized to apply for family housing at Family Housing Department, Anacostia Naval Station. Family Housing is available on board several military installations and in Government leased quarters located in the surrounding communities. Many new arrivals, particularly married Marines who live on the economy, are not accustomed to the high cost of living in the Metropolitan Washington Area. The situation is even more critical to married E1-E4 servicemembers. All Marines should develop a family budget prior to departing their old duty stations.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD would realign Henderson Hall, VA, by relocating the installation management functions to Fort Myer, VA, establishing Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, VA.
All installations employed military, civilian, and contractor personnel to perform common functions in support of installation facilities and personnel. All installations executed these functions using similar or near similar processes. Because these installations shared a common boundary with minimal distance between the major facilities or are in near proximity, there was significant opportunity to reduce duplication of efforts with resulting reduction of overall manpower and facilities requirements capable of generating savings, which would be realized by paring unnecessary management personnel and achieving greater efficiencies through economies of scale. Intangible savings would be expected to result from opportunities to consolidate and optimize existing and future service contract requirements. Additional opportunities for savings would also be expected to result from establishment of a single space management authority capable of generating greater overall utilization of facilities and infrastructure. Further savings would be expected to result from opportunities to reduce and correctly size both owned and contracted commercial fleets of base support vehicles and equipment consistent with the size of the combined facilities and supported populations. Regional efficiencies achieved as a result of Service regionalization of installation management would provide additional opportunities for overall savings as the designated installations are consolidated under regional management structures. The quantitative military value score validated by military judgment was the primary basis for determining which installation was designated as the receiving location.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|