Conn Barracks sits just outside Schweinfurt's city limits. It is home to the 2nd Brigade; 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry; 1st Battalion, 77th Armor; 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry; 299th Support Battalion; and the 601st CSD. The 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry, is a mechanized infantry battalion assigned to the 1st Infantry Division. The 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry, home duty station is located with the 2nd Brigade at Conn Barracks near Schweinfurt, Germany. Several community services and businesses are also found on Conn Barracks.
Construction began on the Schweinfurt Flugplatz in March of 1936. The airbase became a Luftwaffe training post for Stuka or dive bomber pilots. Cadets often lost their lives in training exercises requiring them to dive the plane toward the ground before pulling up at the last possible moment. Residents of Schweinfurt maintain that Hitler only visited Schweinfurt once. Goering came to Schweinfurt more often and stayed at Willy Sachs' castle home in Mainberg (Sachs was a prominent Schweinfurt resident and owner of one of the ball bearing plants).
Schweinfurt status as a ball bearing manufacturing center made it an ideal target during the Second World War. Between October 1944 and April 1945 the city endured no less than seventeen Allied bombing attacks. Since most of the German troops had already left the city for other fronts, air defense artillery behind the Flugplatz was manned only by the "Reichsarbeitsdienst" (teenagers who were issued brown uniforms, shovels and military discipline prior to joining the Army).
On the 11th of April, 1945 the 42nd Division, 7th US Army marched into Schweinfurt and seized the Flugplatz. It was occupied by the American Air Corps until 1948 when it was then transferred over to the US Army.
The Flugplatz was renamed Conn Barracks in honor of 2LT Orville B. Conn, Jr. in 1947. Lieutenant Conn was the first World War II casualty of the Sixth Cavalry Group, killed in action on August 10, 1944 at Normandy, France.
U.S. inspectors had completed seven CFE missions (nine inspections) before they escorted the first Eastern inspection team on a declared site inspection of U.S. facilities. On August 10, 1992, the Russian government sent notices of intent to inspect to the German, Canadian, and U.S. governments. The Germans relinquished responsibility for the Russian team to the U.S. escorts for the inspection of the U.S. Army's Conn Barracks facilities at Schweinfurt, home of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division. Following the inspection of Conn Barracks, the Russian inspection team continued through three more CFE inspections: at the Grafenwoehr Training Area, 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division; at Mainz, the Mainz Army Depot; and finally at Babenhausen, the 41st Field Artillery Brigade. The Russians had not planned to conduct the Grafenwoehr inspection, but all the tanks and most of the ACVs normally in place at Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt were not on-site; the American units had deployed to the training areas at Grafenwoehr. As a result, the Russian inspection at Schweinfurt was brief, since there was little equipment there. Because the deployed equipment represented over 15 percent of the declared equipment for Conn Barracks, the Russians exercised their treaty right to declare a sequential inspection to the location where the equipment was in place: the Grafenwoehr Training Area.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|