The Yongsan Garrison was divided into Main Post and South Post. Main post contained Camp Coiner and had an additional area called Camp Kim located across the street. Main post contained such locations as the bus terminal, the PX, Finance, Transportation, 34th Support Group and the 121st Barracks. Camp Kim was across from the main post Yongsan gate #1 and next to the Yongsan USO. Camp Kim was originally named for another compound, formerly the headquarters for the Korean Service Corps, located near Taenung Military Academy in Kongnung-Dong, Nowon-Ku, Seoul City. This facility was closed and returned to the Republic of Korea in 2005.
Special Operations Command, Korea (SOCKOR) located at Camp Kim in Yongsan, Korea, was the theater SOC responsible for special operations on the Korean peninsula and, when established, the Korean Theater of Operations (KTO).
The 1st Signal Brigade Project Support Directorate was at Camp Kim. The Project Support Directorate provided Information Systems project management, engineering, installation, test and acceptance, and performance evaluation support for US Forces Korea, US Army Japan (USARJ), USAISC O&M Commands, Program Executive Offices (PEO) and Program Managers (PM).
Located in Building 1244 at Camp Kim, the Vehicle Processing Center, Seoul, provides Export Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) customer service for USFK service members families and DoD civilians stationed in Seoul, Osan, Kunsan, Wonju, Suwon,Chunchon, Uijongbu, Tongduchon, Pyongtaek and all other locations north of Taegu (but not including Taegu).
The Korean Service Corps (KSC) was headquartered at Camp Kim. The wartime mission of the KSC is to transport ammunition and supplies, evacuate sick and wounded, construct field fortifications, repair and maintain tactical roads and bridges, operate supply points and perform other functions as required in support of USFK and EUSA. During armistice, the KSC exists to facilitate the mission of US units in the defense of the Republic of Korea in accordance with the US-ROK agreement regarding the status of the KSC, a Status of Forces Agreement related document.
The armistice mission of the KSC is to: support engineer projects, assist in the operation of US logistics installations, assist in the performance of accountability and surveillance functions of ammunitions and explosives, ambulance operation and nursing assistance, firing range operations, heating equipment operation and maintenance, military bus operations, decontamination support, support of base operations functions and assume contract defaults and other projects as directed by the commanding general, EUSA.
The creation of the KSC can be traced back to 26 July 1950, when Presidential Emergency Decree No. 6 was signed by South Korean President Syngman Rhee. This decree changed thousands of Korean men's lives and proved to be one of the significant events of the Korean War. The decree allowed for the legal commandeering of all the national assets indispensable to fighting a war. Manpower proved to be the most critical resource needed, thus men were conscripted to assist in the effort of supplying troops, repairing roads and buildings defensive structures. The organization continued to work side by side with US forces in the defense and continuance of peace on the Korean peninsula. The KSC's support role continues and was tailored to support a war mobilization effort if hostilities should erupt again.
When Camp Kim was closed the Camp Kim name and the KSC were relocated to a location west of the Yongsan Main Post Gate #1, across the Han River Boulevard (Hangang-Ro) in Namyong-Dong. This subdivision was also home to the 1st Signal Brigade unit, Seoul POV Receiving and Shipping Station, PMO's Post Pass and ID, Foreign Goods Transaction Office, AAFES Care Care Center and warehouse, and the Seoul USO.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|