2nd Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment
The 14th Marines mission is to augment and reinforce active Marine forces in time of war, national emergency or contingency operations. The Regimental Headquarters accomplishes its augment and reinforce mission by acting as the Force Artillery Headquarters (FAHQ) for a supported Marine Expeditionary Force (MEF). As the FAHQ the Regimental Headquarters provides the supported MEF commander with a means to command and control both Marine and Army tube and rocket artillery. The battalions of 14th Marines that are not held at the MEF level are used to augment and reinforce active Marine Divisions that are engaged in contingency operations.
Activated 26 March 1943 as 2D Battalion, 14th Marines, FMF at Camp Pendleton, California. Assigned 19 August 1943 to the 4th Marine Division. Deployed during January 1944 to the Marshall Islands. Particapated in the following World War II Pacific Campaigns: Kwajalein, Tinian, Iwo Jima. Redeployed during October 1945 to Camp Pendleton, California. Deactivated 15 November, 1945
Reactivated 1 July 1962 at Naval and Marine Corps Reserve Training Center, Dallas Texas. Relocated during 1988 to Fort Worth, Texas. Particapated in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, SouthWest Asia, November 1990-April 1991. Relocated March, 2000 to Grand Prairie, Texas. Assigned during February 1966 to the 4th Marine Division, USMCR. Battery E. "Elvis" Battery has been a part of Jackson, Mississippi since 1946. Jackson Marines continue to support and defend our nation. The purpose of this web site is to familiarize you with the Battery and give you some insight into the Marine Corps Reserves. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to send me an e-mail from the link at the bottom of this page.
The mission of Battery E, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marines is to provide accurate and timely artillery fires in support of a maneuver unit. Formed Battery C, 1st Battalion, 14th Marines at Camp Lejuene, NC on June 1, 1943, the Battery saw action during WWII in the Marianas Islands, Marshall Islands, and Iwo Jima. Deactivated Nov. 28, 1945, it was reactivated in 1946 in the Organized Marine Corps Reserve as a Signal Company. Shortly after, it was redesignated as the 7th 105mm Howitzer Battery, Jackson, MS.
The unit was first mobilized in August of 1950 when the Korean War began. The Battery deployed to Camp Pendleton, California where members of the unit were assigned for duty with various Artillery commands destined for Korea. In 1952, the Battery was reorganized as the 2d 105mm Howitzer Battery. It remained the 2d 105mm Howitzer Battery until 1 October 1971 when it was redesignated as Battery F, 2d Battalion, 14th Marines. It's battalion headquarters at that time was Dallas, TX.
In December of 1987, the Battery was redesignated as Battery C, 1st Battalion, 14th Marines with it's Battalion Headquarters located at the Alemeda Naval Air Station, Alemeda, CA. In April of 1989, the battery was refitted with the M198 155mm Howitzers which are still in use today. In December of 1990, the unit was activated in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The Battery was assigned to 4th Battalion, 12th Marines in Okinawa, Japan. On Oct 1, 2000, the unit was designated Battery E, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marines. The battalion headquarters is located in Grand Prarie, Texas.
Fox Battery, 2d Battalion, 14th Marines was initially activated as Alpha Company, 20th Infantry Battalion in 1947. The unit deployed to Korea in 1950, participating in the Korean War. In 1952 the unit was redesignated as the 8th Rifle Company, until 1959 when it was assigned the moniker 8th Infantry Battalion. Unit strength was 315 Marines. In August 1962, the unit was split into two organizations, the 8th and 9th 155mm Gun (SP) Batteries. The 8th Battery moved to Norman, Oklahoma that same year.
In 1972, the Battery received 175mm Guns (SP), and was redesignated the 8th 175mm Gun Battery (SP). In 1974, the battery placed first during the TACT test and received the coveted General Clifton B. Cates Challenge trophy. This award was given as recognition to the best artillery battery in the Selected Marine Corps Reserves. The battery also received the 4th Marine Division Association Distinguished Service Commendation. The battery relocated to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma during this same year.
In 1978, the battery was redesignated the 5th Howitzer Battery (SP). In 1979 it was again renamed, now designated Oscar Battery, 5th Battalion, 14th Marines, 4th Marine Regiment. During 1983, 1984, and 1985 the battery placed second in the competition for the Cates trophy, continuing to perform at an outstanding level. In 1986, the unit was redesignated Fox Battery and it's mission was changed from general artillery support to direct support. In November 1990 Fox Battery mobilized once again and participated in Operation Desert Storm, setting the standard for both active and reserve artillery units during the conflict.
2nd Battalion, 14th Marines number one asset is its personnel. Included in the unit are the families of Marines. In time of deployment significant care and consideration must be given to the effects of Marines leaving the comforts of home. The family members that depend on these individuals to provide for and support them will be significantly affected. Preparation for these possible deployments cannot be left to the last minute.
The Battalion as a whole will take care of its own. Through the work of the Family Readiness Officer, Peace Time War Time Support Team (PWST), Battalion Chaplain, the Administrative Section and the Key Volunteer network, they will provide support systems and information for the families of Marines. It is essential that these families know the services and avenues available to them when support is needed. Coordination with NAS, JRB, Ft Worth, the Red Cross and other outside agencies will increase the comfort level for Marine families whether the deployment is our Annual Training, regular drills, or full scale mobilization.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|