914th Airlift Wing [914th AW]
The 914th Airlift Wing is assigned to the 22nd Air Force, Air Mobility Command, under the Air Reserve Command. If called to active duty, the unit becomes attached to AMC's 21st Air Force.
The 914th Airlift Wing traces it's lineage back to the 3rd Combat Cargo Squadron, First Combat Cargo Group, which was activated on 15 April, 1944 at Bowman Field, Louisville, KY, flying the C-47. The unit was known as the "Lucky Third" by their sister Squadrons because of an outstanding safety record. In August 1944, it deployed to India in support of combat operations in Burma, moving to China shortly before the end of WWII where it transitioned to the C-46. On 28 September 1945, the unit was redesignated as the 328th Troop Carrier Squadron and it's parent unit was redesignated the 512th Troop Carrier Group, respectively. Prior to being deactivated in December 1945, the unit earned a distinguished Unit Citation and four campaign streamers.
The 328th TCS was reactivated in the Reserve in 1948 at Reading, PA, again as part of the 512th TCG. It was called to active duty during the Korean conflict from March thru April in 1951. Beginning on 14 June,1952, the Squadron flew C-47 aircraft at New Castle County Airport, Delaware. On 16 November, 1957 the 328th moved to Paine Field, Everett, WA, and then to Niagara Falls, NY, on 25 March, 1958 where it converted to C-119 aircraft.
On 28 October 1962, along with it's parent wing, the 512th, the squadron was recalled to active duty at home station during the Cuban missle crisis.
On 11 February 1963, as part of a Reserve wide reorganization, the 914th TCG was created and activated as the new parent unit for the 328 TCS.
On 1 July 1967 the 328th Troop Carrier Squadron was redesignated as the 328th Tactical Airlift Squadron and converted to C-130A aircraft in December of 1970, which it continued to fly until June of 1986 when they converted to C130E aircraft. The unit then assumed command of Niagara Falls Air Reserve Base on January 1, 1971.
From 4 October 1990 to 11 April 1991 the 328th was recalled to active duty and deployed the United Arab Emirates in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
Shortly after returning to Niagara Falls, in September of 1992, the squadron received an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, and also converted to new C-130H3 aircraft which it presently operates.
The Squadron has supported numerous "real-world" airlift missions at home in the United States, in Somolia, Bosnia, Haiti, and in Central and South America.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to close Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station (ARS), NY. It would distribute the eight C-130H aircraft of the 914th Airlift Wing (AFR) to the 314th Airlift Wing, Little Rock AFB, AR. The 914th's headquarters would move to Langley AFB, VA, the Expeditionary Combat Support (ECS) would realign to the 310th Space Group (AFR) at Schriever AFB, CO, and the Civil Engineering Squadron would move to Lackland AFB, TX.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|