434th Air Refueling Wing [434th ARW]
The 434th Air Refueling Wing traces its origins to the 434th Troop Carrier Group which was constituted on January 30, 1943 and activated on February 9, 1943. Following the end of World War II, it was deactivated on July 31, 1946.
Reactivated in the Reserve on March 15, 1947, it was redesignated as the 434th Troop Carrier Wing on July 1, 1949. It was called to active duty as a result of the Korean War and assigned to Tactical Air Command. It was again called to active duty during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
It was redesignated as the 434th Tactical Airlift Wing on July 1, 1967 and subsequently called to active duty as a result of the Vietnam War. The unit deactivated on December 1, 1969.
The 434th was reactivated as the 434th Special Operations Wing on January 15, 1971. It was later redesignated as the 434th Tactical Fighter Wing(1973), and the 434th Air Refueling Wing(1987). It was called to active duty as a result of the Persian Gulf War, and then redesignated on June 1, 1992 as the 434th Wing.
The wing was once again redesignated as the 434th Air Refueling Wing in late 1994.
The mission of the 434 ARW is to provide mid-air refueling to long-range bombers, fighters, and cargo aircraft.
The 434th ARW is one of the key refueling units in the Air Force Reserve. The 434th ARW regularly participates in exercises and front-line operations to support America's national interests.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|