20th Fighter Squadron [20th FS]
The 20th Fighter Squadron, "Silver Lobos," is a Foreign Military Sales dedicated squadron which provides the German air force with aircrew combat instruction using the F-4F. The squadron conducts both initial qualification training for new pilots and weapon systems officers as well as the Fighter Weapons Instructor Course for experienced F-4 crews. This mission allows the United States to increase the combat effectiveness of our allies, while strengthening the relationship between the two countries.
The 20th Fighter Squadron traces its history back to the 20th Pursuit Squadron (INTERCEPTOR), constituted on 22 December 1939 and activated on 1 February 1940. The 20th Pursuit Squadron was assigned to the 35th Pursuit Group in February 1940, and to the 4th Composite Group in December 1940. In October, 1941 the squadron was assigned to the 24th Pursuit Group where it remained until April, 1946.
The 20th Pursuit Squadron was located at the following stations between February 1940, and May 1942. Moffett Field, California; Hamilton Field, California; Nichols Field, Luzon; Clark Field, Luzon; Bataan, Luzon; Lubao, Luzon; and Midanao. The unit flew the P-36, P-26, P-35, and P-40 aircraft. The 20th Pursuit Squadron's theater of operations was the Philippine Islands. Unit forces included a ground echelon which fought as an infantry unit in Bataan. Before the fall of Luzon, the unit moved to Mindanao in April 1942. On 6 May 1942, all US and Philippine forces were surrendered by General Wainright. The men of the unit were captured and the squadron was redesignated the 20th Fighter Squadron.
In 1944, the unit was again redesignated the 20th Pursuit Squadron, but was never remanned. On 2 April 1946, the unit was inactivated. During its existence, the squadron was awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation with two oak leaf clusters and the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation with one oak leaf cluster.
On 27 October 1972, the unit was redesignated the 20th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron and activated on 1 December 1972. It was assigned to the 35th Tactical Fighter Wing, George Air Force Base, California. On 1 October 1991, the squadron was redesignated the 20th Fighter Squadron assigned under the 35th Fighter Wing. In June 1992, the 20th Fighter Squadron was transferred to Holloman AFB, NM and assigned to the 49th Operations Group. Under the USAF reorganization, the 20th Fighter Squadron designation was inactivated on 30 July 1992 then reactivated on 30 July 1993, although the training mission continued.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|