Submarine Squadron SIX
Submarine Squadron SIX is home to six nuclear powered fast attack submarines. USS SCORPION (SSN 589) was commissioned in July 1960 and became the first nuclear-powered submarine attached to the squadron. Following inactivation of USS SIRAGO (SS 485) in June 1972, SUBRON SIX became a squadron comprised entirely of nuclear-powered submarines, and remains so to this day.
With the outbreak of World War II and the havoc wrought on the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, the early brunt of retaliation against the enemy fell upon the Pacific Submarine Force. It was during these early days of World War II in the Pacific when the present SUBRON SIX had its beginning as SUBRON SIXTEEN. As the war progressed, SUBRON SIXTEEN continued to add to its share of the more than five million tons of Japanese shipping sunk by U.S. submarines.
With the end of the war in the Pacific came the need to relocate an immense naval organization and to begin the transition to peacetime operations. Accordingly, SUBRON SIXTEEN sailed from the Pacific via the Panama Canal to New London, Connecticut. Less than three months later SUBRON SIXTEEN left New London, Connecticut, as SUBRON SIX enroute to its new homeport of Balboa, Canal Zone, Panama. During the transit the units of SUBRON SIX, spent the month of December 1945 at Staten Island, New York, then headed for the warmer climates of Panama. In June 1949, the squadron was reorganized, formally named Submarine Squadron SIX, and moved to its present homeport in Norfolk, Virginia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|