U.S. Naval Forces, Marianas
The U.S. Naval Forces, Marianas mission is to provide the highest quality service to U.S. and Allied forces for operations, logistics and training in the Marianas, while taking care of people, their families, and being good neighbors in the Region.
On Dec. 10, 1898, Guam was ceded to the United States from Spain by the Treaty of Paris. The following February, U.S. Navy Cmdr. E.R. Taussig officially took possession of the island for the United States. U.S. Naval Station, Guam was established Aug. 7 of the same year with the entire island designated as a Naval Station and Capt. R.P. Leary designated as commanding officer and governor of Guam.
Naval Station controlled Guam until it surrendered to the Japanese on Dec. 10, 1941. The island remained under Japanese rule until July 21, 1944, when U.S. forces landed to begin the liberation. This day is now annually celebrated as Liberation Day. In 1944, Fleet Adm. Chester W. Nimitz came to Guam as Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet and defeated the Japanese imperial forces on the island, aiding American efforts to bring the war to a close. From 1944 to 1949, an era of military government, the officers who served as ComNavMarianas were respectively charged with such civil responsibilities as governor of the Marshalls-Gilberts; deputy military governor, Pacific Ocean Areas; and deputy military governor, Bonin-Volcano Islands.
From 1944 until March 29, 1952, Naval Station served as a Naval Operations Base, providing a huge portion of every type of fleet service. In September 1956, the Naval Base was disestablished and the Naval Station was reassigned to the military command of Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Marianas.
Today, Guam is home to numerous U.S. Navy commands supporting the fleet in this part of the world.
The mission of the U.S. Navy Public Works Center (PWC) Guam is to deliver responsive, cost effective, high quality public works services, including facilities maintenance, utilities, environmental, transportation, engineering, construction and shore facility support as required by the Navy and other clients.
PWC Guam's mission has grown considerably over the last 50 years. The Navy's "public works" concept on Guam actually had its beginnings in 1900, when the Island Public Works (IPW) consisted of a U.S. Marine Corps garrison headed by a Marine Corps Colonel. In March 1946, IPW was authorized to hire civilian workers for the first time, and 525 civilians were hired. By the end of the year, the civilian workforce had grown to 985 employees. In 1947, a total of 1683 civilians were employed. The establishment of the Navy Public Works Center, from the IPW, took place on December 26, 1949. PWC Guam was the second Navy Public Works Center to be commissioned, following PWC Norfolk, which was established in 1948.
PWC Guam, prior to reorganization, was the largest Naval activity on Guam and continues to boost the readiness of the Pacific Fleet. PWC Guam provides year-round, 24-hour service to all Navy commands on island, as well as a variety of Federal and GovGuam customers. PWC's facilities replacement value is in excess of $800 thousand, and the Center annually provides services valued at more than $150 Million.
PWC Guam is dedicated to providing the full range of facilities support to its many customers. This is being done through its evolution into a high performance work team, providing responsive solutions and cost effective results for public works and shore facility support requirements. PWC's innovative, flexible, and skilled work force performs its mission with a strong commitment to value and customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is vital to our mission and is based on a commitment to continuous improvement by all PWC Guam employees.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD would realign Andersen AFB, Guam, by relocating the installation management functions to Commander, U.S. Naval Forces, Marianas Islands, Guam.
All installations employed military, civilian, and contractor personnel to perform common functions in support of installation facilities and personnel. All installations executed these functions using similar or near similar processes. Because these installations shared a common boundary with minimal distance between the major facilities or are in near proximity, there was significant opportunity to reduce duplication of efforts with resulting reduction of overall manpower and facilities requirements capable of generating savings, which would be realized by paring unnecessary management personnel and achieving greater efficiencies through economies of scale. Intangible savings would be expected to result from opportunities to consolidate and optimize existing and future service contract requirements. Additional opportunities for savings would also be expected to result from establishment of a single space management authority capable of generating greater overall utilization of facilities and infrastructure. Further savings would be expected to result from opportunities to reduce and correctly size both owned and contracted commercial fleets of base support vehicles and equipment consistent with the size of the combined facilities and supported populations. Regional efficiencies achieved as a result of Service regionalization of installation management would provide additional opportunities for overall savings as the designated installations are consolidated under regional management structures. The quantitative military value score validated by military judgment was the primary basis for determining which installation was designated as the receiving location.Assuming no economic recovery, this recommendation could result in a maximum potential reduction of 174 jobs (95 direct jobs and 79 indirect jobs) over the 2006-2011 period in the Guam County, GU economic area (.3 percent)
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|