The keel of Kentucky (BB-66), an Iowa-class battleship, was laid at Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, on December 6, 1944. She was launched on January 20, 1950, but construction was suspended on February 17, 1947 when the battleship was 72.1 percent complete.
Kentucky's engine plants were used to power the fast combat support ships USS Sacramento (AOE-1) and USS Camden (AOE-2).
In May or June 1956, Kentucky's bow was removed and transported on a large crane barge from Newport News, Virginia, where she had been towed, back to Norfolk Navak Shipyard, to be used in the repair of USS Wisconsin (BB-64), which had been damaged in a collision with USS Eaton (DDE-510) on May 6, 1956.
Kentucky was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on June 9, 1958 and her incomplete hulk was sold for scrapping to Boston Metals Company of Baltimore, Maryland on October 31.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|