USCG Group Boston is located in the " North End" of Boston Group Boston. Group Boston is a major Coast Guard operational command with an area of responsibility stretching from the New Hampshire-Massachusetts border, south to Brant Rock, Massachusetts, and west to New York. Operational units under the Group include five small boat stations, an aids to navigation team, Cutter Grand Isle (110-foot patrol boat); Cutter PENDANT (65-foot harbor tug/icebreaker); and Light Station Boston (the only remaining U.S. lighthouse with a full-time Coast Guard crew)
A total of 186 Active duty, 160 Reserve and over 1000 Auxiliary personnel work within the Group responding primarily to search and rescue, boat safety, law enforcement and aids to navigation missions. Group Boston has existed in its current form since 1968, with its headquarters located at Coast Guard facilities in Boston's North End.
The Group's operating area is exceptionally rich in maritime history and is formally recognized as the "birthplace" of the Coast Guard. The three primary agencies that merged to form the Coast Guard in the early 1900s can trace their roots back to coastal Massachusetts. On August 4, 1790, Congress passed a law authorizing the creation of the Revenue Cutter Service. The first RCS cutter "MASSACHUSETTS" was launched in Newburyport in 1791. The Massachusetts Humane Society, founded in 1786, merged with other organizations to form the U.S. Lifesaving Service in the 1800s, and then in 1915 USLSS merged with the Revenue Cutter Service to form the Coast Guard. From Boston Light, our nation's oldest lighthouse site dating back to 1716 grew a system of over 300 major lighthouses along our coasts. The U.S. Lighthouse Service merged with the Coast Guard in 1939. At the time, the USLHS was the countries oldest federal agency.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|