Tank-automotive & Armaments Command (TACOM)
The U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, or TACOM is dedicated to providing soldiers with overwhelming lethality, mobility, and survivability for battlefield dominance. TACOM generates, provides and sustains mobility, lethality and survivability for soldiers, other U.S. Armed Services, and our allies - all to ensure Army readiness, today, tomorrow and beyond. TACOM's military and civilian associates find and implement technology and logistics solutions for the soldier. From tank-automotive and armaments weapon systems research and development, through procurement and fielding, to sustainment and retirement, TACOM's associates provide "cradle-to-grave" support to America's Armed Forces.
TACOM is headquartered in Warren, Michigan, but has satellite sites in New Jersey, Illinois, Alabama and Texas. Several hundred staff serve where soldiers serve -at stateside Army installations and around the world - to provide the best and fastest support possible. In all, nearly 12,000 active duty and Department of the Army civilians work for TACOM. Approximately 3,500 associates work at the Warren headquarters.
TACOM's headquarters in Warren, Michigan traces its roots to World War II, when the Detroit Tank Arsenal built over 25,000 tanks for the allied nations. Two other TACOM locations (Anniston and Red River Army depots) also trace their origins to World War II; and two of TACOM's organizations, ARDEC at Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey, and Selfridge Garrison, Michigan, are even olde. In 1907, the Army established its first powder factory at Picatinny Arsenal. In 1908, Army lieutenant Thomas Selfridge became the world's first aircraft fatality. His pilot, Orville Wright, barely survived the crash. Around that same time, a Michigan visionary created an airfield that would become Selfridge Air National Guard Base.
In 1995, two Army organizations, Armament and Chemical Acquisition and Logistics Activity (ACALA) in Illinois and Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center (ARDEC) in New Jersey, joined the TACOM Family. The command subsequently changed its name to the Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, keeping the well-known TACOM acronym. In 1998, Red River Army Depot in Texas and Anniston Army Depot in Alabama were added, nearly doubling the size of the TACOM community and expanding the command's mission and importance to the soldier in the field.
In 1940, the U.S. government built a tank arsenal to support the allied war effort in WWII. Tank-automotive management moved to Detroit shortly thereafter. Over the years, both Chrysler and General Dynamics have operated the plant and together produced over 44,000 vehicles. In 1967, the Arsenal was renamed U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command (TACOM) and gained control over nearly all of the Army's tank-automotive systems. The plant itself closed in the 1990s but the management of TACOM thrives with an ever-expanding mission.
In 1804, the U.S. government acquired title to Rock Island in Illinois. The Army then used the island until 1836 as a fort for the Indian Wars. In the period after World War I, Rock Island became instrumental in the development and repair of tanks. In 1993 these functions were realigned, with a chemical defense mission added and Rock Island became the Armament and Chemical Acquisition Activity. In 1994, this activity became part of the TACOM family and today is known as TACOM-Rock Island.
In 1880, the War Department established the Picatinny Powder Depot in Rockaway Township, New Jersey. It was built on land that had been the site of an iron forge that provided munitions for Washington's troops during the Revolutionary War. In 1907, the installation became Picatinny Arsenal, home of the Army's first smokeless powder factory. After World War I, the arsenal added research and development of large caliber munitions to its mission. By 1977, manufacturing was replaced by the research and development of weapons and small caliber munitions. It was designated the United States Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) in 1986 and joined TACOM in 1994.
The War Department began planning construction of an Army Ordnance Depot in northeast Alabama during March 1940. Ammunition storage igloos, standard magazines, warehouse, and administrative buildings sprang up nearly overnight. But it was not until 1952 that the depot began overhauling and repairing combat vehicles, anti-aircraft and mobile artillery. This mission has grown and changed as the Army upgraded existing weapon systems and developed new ones. The depot was renamed the Anniston Army Depot in 1962 and became part of the TACOM family on October 1, 1998.
The Red River Army Depot was activated in 1941 as an ammunition storage site. By 1943 the depot's mission had expanded to include general supply storage, tank repair and an ordnance-training center. The center trained thousands of ordnance soldiers before finally closing in 1955. Part of the TACOM family since 1998, today Red River provides depot maintenance for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, Multiple Launch Rocket System, and Combat Tactical Wheeled Vehicles. Its electronics repair facility supports the Bradley, Multiple Launch Rocket System, and a variety of missile support and aircraft armament subsystems. The depot is also the worldwide center for Patriot and Hawk missile re-certification.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|