Sabalauski Air Assault School
Soldiers have been training on school grounds since the 1950's when the 11th Airborne Division used the area to conduct basic airborne training. In the 1960's, the facilities were converted to a jumpmaster school to support the 101st Airborne Division. During the late 1960's and early 1970's, the school was used to teach basic and advanced Rappelling as the 101st moved from an Airborne to an Air Mobile Division.
On 1 February 1974, Major General Sidney B. Berry established what became the Air Assault School. At the time, the school was five days long, and at its completion, soldiers were awarded the Air Mobile Badge. According to Major General Berry, the Air Mobile Badge followed in the tradition of the Glider and Airborne Badges that are worn proudly by the Screaming Eagle soldiers today.
In 1994, the Air Assault School was renamed in honor of retired Command Sergeant Major Walter J. Sabalauski. He is remembered as a fearless leader in combat and as having a heart as big as any country in which he served - A true "Screaming Eagle."
Over the years, the program of instruction changed and the Air Mobile concept gave way to the Air Assault doctrine, but the mission of the school remained the same. It prepares soldiers for their assignment in the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).
In 1998 the new 34 foot tower was completed and Phase 3 students began to train on that facility. On 17 December 1999 the new Sabalauski Air Assault School facility was dedicated and for the first time all phases of instruction would be conducted at one facility.
The mission of the Sabalauski Air Assault School is to develop technically proficient and confident soldiers capable of safely conducting immediate and sustained air assault operations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|