96th Transportation Company
The mission of the 96th Transportation Company is to provide heavy lift transportation support to III Corps for any world-wide contingency.
The 96th Transportation Company was activated as Company M, 3rd Battalion, 47th Quartermaster Regiment (Truck) on 15 May 1942 at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. On 12 June 1943, the unit was transferred to Camp Polk, Louisiana. On 9 August 1943, Company M departed Camp Polk for Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia and subsequent transfer to the European Theater of Operations. From 5 September 1943 to 7 July 1944, the unit trained in England and deployed to France on 8 July 1944. For it's actions during World War II, the unit was awarded battle credit for participation in the Normandy, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns.
After World War II the unit was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on 27 February 1947. On 6 March 1947, while inactive, Company M was redesignated as the 96th Transportation Corps Truck Company. On 21 June 1947, the unit was reactivated in the European Command (Germany). On 17 May 1968, the 96th Transportation Company was assigned to the 180th Transportation Battalion, 13th Support Brigade at Fort Hood, Texas.
From 28 September 1990 to 22 April 1991, the Company participated in Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. During these operations, one platoon was detached and assigned to the 553rd Corps Support Battalion in support of 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. The remainder of the unit was assigned to the 169th Corps Support Battalion and supported the 1st Cavalry Division.
Upon returning to Fort Hood after Desert Storm, the Company was reassigned back to the 180th Transportation Battalion. After August 1992, the Company was deployed several times to Kuwait supporting Exercises Intrinsic Action and Iris Gold. The Company also sent troops to support Operation Provide Comfort in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and Operation Restore Hope in Somalia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|