961st Engineer Battalion (CBT)(HVY)
The mission of the 961st Engineer Battalion (CBT)(HVY) is to increase the combat effectiveness of division, corps and theater army forces by accomplishing general engineering tasks and limited mobility, countermobility, and survivability tasks, to construct, repair, and maintain main supply routes landing strips, buildings, structures and utilities, and to perform rear area security operations when required.
When World War II erupted, new and improved equipment became essential in facilitating military construction projects. Military construction led directly to training construction workers in specialized units of the Army Corps of Engineers. The Army Corps of Engineers, in cosponsorship with the Associated General Contractors of Greater Milwaukee, formed the 961st Engineer Construction Battalion. While the unit still exists at the headquarters of the 84th Infantry Reserve Division in Milwaukee, the corps ended its association with AGC in the 1960s, the last such "joint venture" in Corps history.
The 961st Engineer Battalion was constituted 15 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 2d Battalion, 922d Engineers. Activated 1 August 1942 at Geiger Field, Washington, as the 2d Battalion, 922d Engineer Aviation Regiment. Redesignated 1 March 1943 as the 1881st Engineer Aviation Battalion. Inactivated 15 June 1946 in the Philippine Islands. Redesignated 25 June 1948 as the 961st Engineer Construction Battalion and allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps. Activated 14 July 1948 with Headquarters at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Organized Reserve Corps redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1954 as the 961st Engineer Battalion.
More than 750 U.S. Army Reserve engineer soldiers spent their two-week annual training at Fort McCoy May 6-19, 2000 completing troop projects, such as a two-mile road, to improve training opportunities and support at Fort McCoy, as well as improving their skills. The two-mile road on South Post will provide easier access to the Badger Drop Zone, courtesy the 372nd Engineer Group, which is headquartered at Des Moines, Iowa. Members of the 961st Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy) and the 389th Engineer Battalion worked on the road.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|