94th Engineer Battalion
94th Engineer Battalion (Combat) (Heavy)
As part of the modular transformation of the US Army and the restructuring of US forces in Europe, including the 130th Engineer Brigade, the 94th Engineer Battalion executed a return to CONUS and was reassigned to the 4th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in 2006.
Previously, the 94th Engineer Battalion (Combat) (Heavy) provided construction and selected combat engineering support to the 130th Engineer Brigade throughout US European Command (EUCOM) and US Central Command (CENTCOM) areas of responsibility as part of the 130th Engineer Brigade, V Corps.
The 94th Engineer Battalion was first constituted 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as the 53rd Engineer Battalion. It was redesignated on 1 January 1938 as the 94th Engineer Battalion. It was activated on 12 February 1941 at Fort Custer, Michigan and reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1942 as the 94th Engineers. It was again redesignated on 1 August 1942 as the 94th Engineer General Service Regiment. During the Second World War, the Regiment participated in 4 campaigns: Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Rhineland, and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the Regiment was inactivated on 22 December 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts.
The unit was redesignated on 16 May 1946 as the 94th Engineer Construction Battalion and activated on 27 May 1946 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 20 September 1953 as the 94th Engineer Battalion, and was inactivated on 27 November 1954 in France. The unit was reactivated on 10 March 1955 in Germany as part of V Corps, where it remained stationed for over 50 years.
Elements of V Corps received orders to deploy to Kuwait in January 2003. According to Stars and Stripes in a story on 2 January 2003, the 94th Engineer Battalion, the 22nd Signial Brigade, the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, and the 3rd Corps Support Command departed for Kuwait in early 2003.
In August 2003, the 94th Engineer Battalion was helping to enhance the security of the Coalition Provisional Authority's headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq. Soldiers in the Battalion's Company B took on part of the security responsibility for the CPA at the presidential palace in Baghdad with the teardown and cleanup of unwanted structures. Five-ton dump trucks, backhoes and bulldozers kicked up 20-foot clouds of dust as soldiers scooped up and tow off the rubble of the old regime's destroyed military buildings. The main threat concern for the CPA security was possible attackers that could cross the river in an attempt to gain access to the palace grounds. The engineers were tasked with clearing out the bombed-out buildings that could provide cover and concealment for hostile intruders. The Battalion dismantled 13 buildings that were obstructing the view of security guards.
As part of the reorganization of the 130th Engineer Brigade and the transformation of the US Army as a whole to the modular force structure, the 94th Engineer Battalion returned to the United States in 2006, where it became assigned to US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. The Battalion's Organic elements were inactivated on 16 September 2006 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. A Forward Support Company was concurrently constituted and activated. The 4th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, activated in 2008, had Training and Readiness Authority for the Battalion, though it technically remained assigned to FORSCOM.
By 2010, the Battalion consisted of its Headquarters and Headquarters Company, its organic Forward Support Company, the 77th Engineer Company (Vertical), the 103rd Engineer Company (Horizontal), the 212th Engineer Company (Horizontal), the 83rd Engineer Detachment (Concrete), and the 156th Engineer Detachment (Survey).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|