93rd Signal Brigade
The 93rd Signal Brigade mission is to deploy worldwide to install, operate and maintain theater tactical communications in support of joint and combined operations across the spectrum of conflict, providing contingency signal support for all commanders in chief. The 93rd Signal Brigade also provides the command-and-control (C2) headquarters and mission support for daily signal operations and operational planning for U.S. Army South/U.S. CINC South. The 93rd Signal Brigade provides the Headquarters for Command and Control and mission support for the United States Army South and United States Army Commander in Chief South.
The 93rd Signal Brigade is headquartered and located on Fort Gordon, Georgia and is the major element of the Army Signal Command in the southeastern United States. The brigade consists of Headquarters and Headquarters Company; 56th, 63d and 67th Signal Battalions; and one Army Signal Activity.
The 93rd Signal Brigade was originally constituted on 3 November 1941 in the Regular Army as the 93rd Signal Battalion and was affiliated with the New England and Telegraph Company. The affiliation agreement ended on 29 March 1942 and was renogotiated with the Indiana Bell Telephone Company. It was reactivated 15 May 1942 at Camp Crowder, Missouri.
As the U.S. role in World War II escalated, the battalion prepared for combat at the Tennessee Maneuver Area, the Desert Training Center at Camp Young, California, and the California-Arizona Maneuver Area. The battalion departed New York aboard the Queen Elizabeth and arrived in England on 26 April 1944. Soon after, it shipped out for France to support forces deployed to Normandy. The battalion served in Luxemburg for the duration of the Ardennes campaign and to Germany on 9 March 1945 until the end of the war.
After World War II, the 93rd departed Europe aboard the Texarkana Victory and arrived in Hampton Roads, Virginia, on 22 December 1945. The battalion was inactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia, on 3 January 1946. The 93rd Signal Battalion was reactivated at Fort Huachuca, Arizona on 24 February 1955 and assigned to the Sixth Army. A later order assigned the unit to the 1st Signal Corps at Fort Huachuca.
On 18 October 1961, the 93rd Signal Battalion departed Charleston enroute to Germany, where it remained until it was inactivated on 21 September 1972.
The battalion was again reorganized and activated on 16 March 1981, and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 93rd Signal Brigade in Ludwigsburg, Germany. The brigade supported VII Corps with its subordinate battalions which included the 26th Signal Battalion (Corps Area) at Heilbron, Germany, the 34th Signal Battalion (Corps Radio), and the 51st Signal Battalion (Command Operations), both located in Ludwigsburg. In 1990, the brigade deployed to Saudi Arabia with VII Corps in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. During it's service in SW Asia the 93rd earned three more battle streamers: Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease Fire.
The three battalions were later inactivated in Germany and the 93rd Signal Brigade colors were returned to Fort Gordon for the brigade's official inactivation on 5 December 1991.
The brigade was reactivated 16 February 1998 on Fort Gordon as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 93rd Signal Brigade with the following subordinate units: 63rd Signal Battalion and 67th Signal Battalion (both of these are Echelon Above Corps (EAC) Battalions located on Fort Gordon); 56th Signal Battalion located in Puerto Rico and the Army Signal Activity located in Miami, Florida.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|