845th Signal Battalion
The 845th Signal Battalion, previously located in Pascagoula, Mississippi, moved to East Point, Georgia in calendar year 2000. The 845th provides communications and signal support to echelons above corps in a theater of operations. It is structured to command and control four to five signal companies. During peacetime operations, the 845th maintains command and control of the 842d Tropo Company located in Milton, FL. The 845th Area of Responsibility (AOR) is in the CENTCOM area, supporting operations in the Southwest Asia Theater.
Lineage: constituted Oct. 7, 1942, as the 845th Signal Service Battalion activated Nov. 1, 1942, at Camp Crowder, Mo.; inactivated March 7, 1944, in North Africa; Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 845th Signal Service Battalion, redesignated May 2, 1952, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 845th Signal Support Battalion, and allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps; activated May 15, 1952, at Hopkinsville, Ky.; (Organized Reserve Corps redesignated July 9, 1952, as the Army Reserve); reorganized and redesignated Oct. 28, 1953, as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 845th Signal Battalion; inactivated Feb. 5, 1954, at Hopkinsville, Ky.; activated Sept. 9, 1955, at Pascagoula, Miss.
Symbolism of unit insignia: The crossed lightning flashes symbolize the unit's ability to readily support with signal communications facilities. The three magnolia leaves and blossom, the state flower of Mississippi, represent the 845th Signal Battalion's home area, Third U.S. Army, and the location of the organization's last activation at Pascagoula. The crescent, a symbol of North Africa, refers to the unit's campaign service in North Africa during World War II. The colors black and white are used in the insignia to symbolize day and night alertness, while orange is a color used for Signal units.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|