814th Engineer Company (Multi-Role Bridge)
814th Engineer Company (Assault Float Bridge)
"Whatever the Job"
The 814th Engineer Company is an active-duty multi-role brigade company assigned to the 46th Engineer Battalion, 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade at Fort Polk, Louisiana.
The 814th Engineer Company was first constituted on 11 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 511th Engineer Light Pontoon Company and activated on 10 August 1942 at Camp Bowie, Texas. The Company was subsequently deployed to the European Theater of Operations, where it participated in 5 campaigns during the Second World War: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the Company was inactivated on 28 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was redesignated on 23 November 1954 as the 814th Engineer Company and allotted to the Regular Army and activated on 17 January 1955 in Germany. The unit was designated as an Assault Float Bridge company in 1976. It was inactivated on 15 October 1992 in Hanau, Germany as part of reductions in US forces in Europe following the end of the Cold War. The Company had been an element of the 130th Engineer Brigade and wa capable of bridging a 200-meter-wide body of water with its 42 bridge bays.
The company was subsequently reactivated assigned to the 46th Engineer Battalion at Fort Polk, Louisiana, eventually becoming designated as a multi-role bridge company.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|