1st Brigade (Battle Command and Staff Training), 78th Division (Training Support)
The 1st Brigade (Battle Command and Staff Training), 78th Division (Training Support) was inactivated in 2009 as part of the reorganization of the 78th Division (Training Support) to the 78th Training Brigade.
The 1st Brigade (Battle Command and Staff Training), 78th Division (Training Support) was a Simulations Exercise Brigade. The Brigade provided computer driven simulations to train command and staff actions for Army Reserve, Army National Guard units. It featured Battalion and Brigade Simulations, Corps Battle Simulation, Combat Service Support Training Simulations, and Spectrum systems.
The Brigade's mission was to provide evaluated simulation exercises to Reserve Component battalion and brigade headquarters staffs and to provide training assistance, support, and evaluation to priority reserve component units and all other units within capabilities. It would synchronize training support in its area of responsibility to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements. It would also, on order, activate or augment Mobilization Assistance Teams to assist installation commanders in post mobilization training and validation of mobilized units for deployment.
The 1st Brigade (Battle Command and Staff Training), 78th Division (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters Troop, 78th Division and organized in September 1917 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. As a part of the 78th Division the Headquarters Troop participated in 3 campaigns in the Great War: St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Lorraine 1918. After the war, the unit was demobilized on 9 July 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters Company, 78th Division and organized in February 1922 at Newark, New Jersey. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 20 February 1942 as Headquarters and Military Police Company (less Military Police Platoon), 78th Division. The Company was ordered into active military service on 15 August 1942 and reorganized at Camp Butner, North Carolina. It was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters Company, 78th Infantry Division. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations as a part of the 78th Infantry Division, the Company participated in 3 campaigns during World War II: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the war, the Company was inactivated on 22 May 1946 in Germany.
The unit was reactivated on 1 November 1946 at Newark, New Jersey. During this period, the Organized Reserves was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was in turn redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The Company remained a part of this organization throughout the redesignations. Its location was changed on 9 November 1955 to Kearny, New Jersey and on 6 December 1958 to Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. The unit was disbanded entirely on 1 May 1959 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 November 1967 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 1st Brigade, 78th Division (Training) and activated on 31 January 1968 at Fort Hancock, New Jersey. The Brigade's location changed on 11 November 1983 to Red Bank, New Jersey and again on 1 February 1993 to Edison, New Jersey. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1993 as Headquarters, 1st Brigade, 78th Division (Exercise) and again on 17 October 1999 as Headquarters, 1st Brigade, 78th Division (Training Support). In the latter case, the transformation was part of the Training Support XXI program.
The (Battle Command and Staff Training), 78th Division (Training Support) by the early 2000s had subordinate group headquarters at Edison, New Jersey (1st Simulations Exercise Group); Fort Dix, New Jersey (Battle Projection Group); and Bristol, Rhode Island (2nd Simulations Exercise Group). The unit was composed of Active Component, Army Reserve personnel from throughout the Northeast United States.
The 1st Simulation Exercise Group provided pre-mobilization and post-mobilization command and staff training, training assistance and support to priority Reserve Component units and to all other units within capabilities. It also synchronized training support within its area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements.
The 2nd Simulation Exercise Group, located at the Quinta-Gamelin Reserve Center in Bristol, Rhode Island, had the mission to provide simulation supported Battle Command and Staff training exercises for Army National Guard and United States Army Reserve combat arms, combat support and combat service support units in 14 Northeastern states comprising the First US Army area of operations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|