4th Brigade, 75th Division (Mission Command Training)
4th Brigade, 75th Division (Training Support)
4th Brigade, 75th Division (Exercise)
The 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Mission Command Training) provides training support and assistance to assigned US Army Reserve and Army National Guard client units. The Brigade, on order, provides training assistance to mobilizing /demobilizing reserve component units; provides Mobilization Assistance Teams to designated Power Projection Platforms; and conducts homeland defense operations as directed. The Brigade's focus for training support is to provide Reserve Component forces with the requisite resources to meet their mission critical Lane, Training Assessment Module, Battle Command Staff Training, and Mobilization training requirements.
Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Mission Command Training) was first constituted on 24 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 775th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company and assigned to the 75th Infantry Division. The Company was activated on 19 January 1943 at the Atlanta Ordnance Depot, Georgia. As part of the 75th Infantry Division, the Company participated in 3 campaigns in the European Theater of Operations during World War II: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the Company was inactivated on 26 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was redesignated on 1 March 1952 as the 775th Ordnance Maintenance Company, allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps, and activated at Houston, Texas. The Organized Reserve Corps was subsequently redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve, and the Company remained a part of this organization. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 November 1952 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 775th Ordnance Battalion and was inactivated on 31 January 1955 at Houston, Texas.
Headquarters, 775th Ordnance Battalion was consolidated on 17 October 1999 with Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Exercise), which had been activated on 1 October 1993 at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The remainder of 775th Ordnance Battalion was concurrently disbanded.
The activation of 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Training Support) was part of the decision to inactivate the separate training brigades assigned to Fifth US Army and reorganize the capability into a number of training divisions. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 479th Field Artillery Brigade (Training Support) had been inactivated on 1 October 1999 and its staff were subsequently reflagged as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 75th Division (Training Support).
In his "One Team, One Fight, One Future" concept of a totally integrated Active Component-Reserve Component force, General Reimer stated that the Army had to have one clear, consistent standard. Achieving one standard required Army readiness to be tested and validated continually. Furthermore, a thorough assessment of training and mobilization was necessary to ensure both realistically meet the needs of the Force.
The Active Component-Reserve Component Training Association Program included the Active Component training support brigades with their training support battalions working with Reserve Component units. New Active Component-Reserve Component training support brigade organizational changes became effective on 1 October 1999 with the implementation of Training Support XXI. Each of the 10 Active Component training support brigdades in Fifth and First Armies that train Reserve Component field artillery units had its own procedures and operational policies to comply with training support requirements mandated by Federal law.
4th Brigade, 75th Division (Training Support) was a tri-component organization with members drawn from the Active Army, the Army Reserve, and the Army National Guard. The Brigade's main focus was providing training support, assistance, and evaluation to client units. 4th Brigade's mission combined assistance to client units and the ability to deploy the client units to all parts of the world with support to Federal Agencies during Disaster Relief and response to Weapons of Mass Destruction incidents. 4th Brigade provided: Observer / Controller-Trainer Teams to Reserve and National Guard Units in a 7 state area (Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas, South Dakota, and New Mexico); Disaster Relief and Weapons of Mass Destruction Response Teams; and Mobilization / Demobilization assistance to Reserve Units. The unit subsequently supported mobilization training for units deploying to Bosnia and Kosovo.
In 2000, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Brigades, 75th Division provided training support and mobilization assistance for a client base composed of 298 Priority and 643 Traditional units throughout the US Army Reserve and Army National Guard.
By the early 2000s, 4th Brigade consisted of 2 Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) Training Support Battalions, 3 Combat Support-Combat Service Support (CS-CSS) Training Support Battalions, and one Logistical Support Battalion. Though based at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, only the 1st Battalion (Field Artillery), 290th Regiment and the 1st Battalion (Logistics Support), 382nd Regiment were co-located there with the Brigade Headquarters. 2nd Battalion (CS-CSS), 290th Regiment was also located in Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. 2nd Battalion (Field Artillery), 289th Regiment was based at Fort Riley Kansas. The remaining 2 units, 1st Battalion (CS-CSS), 289th Regiment and 2nd Battalion (CS-CSS), 381st Regiment were located in Texas, in Houston and Grand Prairie respectively.
The Army's transformation in the 2000s necessitated restructuring the roles and missions of First US Army and Fifth US Army to support reserve component modularity and the Army Force Generation process known as Army Force Generation (ARFORGEN). First US Army's training mission expanded on 16 January 2006 to include training, readiness oversight and mobilization for US Army Reserve and National Guard units throughout the continental United States and two US territories. The transition of the expanded geographic mission began in mid-December 2005 with the transfer of authority between First US Army and Fifth US Army for the Western United States. Previously, First Army trained, mobilized and deployed US Army Reserve and National Guard units in the eastern United States, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. The 75th Division was assigned directly to US Army Reserve Command as a training command.
Though its subordinate units were reassigned to elements of First US Army, 4th Brigade, 75th Division remained active, reorienting along with the rest of the Division to the Mission Command Training role. The Brigade was subsequently relocated to Birmingham, Alabama and the 1st and 3rd Groups (Battle Command Training) were activated to support the unit's new mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|