749th Maintenance Battalion
The distinctive unit insignia was originally authorized for the 749th Ordnance Battalion, California National Guard on 14 Aug 1957. It was redesignated for the 749th Maintenance Battalion on 26 Jun 1986. On 23 Mar 1973, the insignia was redesignated for the 749th Support Battalion. The distinctive unit insignia was redesignated for the 749th Maintenance Battalion on 30 Sept 1980, with description and symbolism revised. It consists of a shield blazoned: Or, on a fess abased Gules (Crimson) over a pale of the like a spanner fesswise of the first. Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed "QUITAR FIJAR Y REPONER" (Remove Repair Replace) in Red letters.
Crimson and yellow are the colors traditionally associated with the Ordnance Corps and reflect the unit's former designation as an Ordnance Battalion. The intersecting bands represent a walk, Alameda (the Battalion's home area) meaning public walk in Spanish. The spanner is for Ordnance and in its early form was a tool used in adjusting a wheel-lock musket.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|