577th Engineer Battalion
The 577th Engineer Battalion executes and supports multilevel interservice engineer and maintenance training at Fort Leonard Wood and worldwide to produce Values-Based and combat ready Sappers, Divers, Engineers, maintainers and leaders to the Force.
HHC, 577th Engineer Battalion provides logistical and administrative support at company and battalion level; conducts individual skill development and Sapper Leader Training at Fort Leonard wood to produce a stronger and more capable fighting force to units deployed around the globe.
Company A, 577th Engineer Battalion conducts multilevel interservice maintenance training to produce capable engineer equipment mechanics and leaders, and provides unit level mainintenanc operations to maximize equipment readiness for engineer training at the U.S. Army Maneuver Support Center and Fort Leonard Wood.
Company B, 577th Engineer Battalion conducts and supports inter-service construction engineer training at Fort Leonard Wood, and around the world to provide engineers to the force.
Company C, 577th Engineer Battalion is the Army's only Combat Engineer Training Company. C Company conducts the Combat Engineer Heavy Track course, and supports all training of the Engineer Brigade and Regiment through equipment and vehicle support.
Company D, 577th Engineer Battalion conducts and supports interservice diving and salvage training at the Naval Diving and Salvage Trainin Center in Panama City, FL, to provide Engineer divers to the Force.
The 577th Engineer Battalion has two separate histories: one as the 577th Engineer Battalion and the other as the 4th Battalion of the 4th Engineer Brigade.
The Battalion was activated on 15 July 1942 as the 377th Engineer Battalion. On 2 August 1943 the Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 377th Engineer General Service Regiment and operated in the European Theater during World War II. The 377th received campaign streamers for its operations in northern France and the Rhineland. At the termination of World War II the 377th was inactivated on 3 January 1946 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. On 25 February 1954, the Regiment was broken up and some elements disbanded. The remainder of the Regiment was redesignated as the 577th Engineer Battalion (Construction) and allotted to the regular Army. The 577th Engineer Battalion was then chosen in July 1966 to serve in the Vietnam War. It served with pride, honor, and valor in a war which had no front lines. The 577th received credit for 12 counter offensive operations and was awarded two Meritorious Unit Commendations during this period. The Battalion was inactivated on 11 July 1972 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.
The 4th Battalion was activated on 15 August 1966 as a part of the 1st Engineer Training Brigade with the mission to train Army Engineer Construction Equipment Operators at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
In October 1967, the Battalion was transferred from the 1st Brigade to the 4th Engineer Advanced Individual Training Brigade (Specialist). Its mission, however, remained essentially unchanged. The Battalion was redesignated as Headquarters, 1st Battalion, 4th Engineer Advanced Individual Training Brigade (Specialist) in August 1970. It was again redesignated in January 1973 as Headquarters, 4th Battalion, 4th Engineer Advanced Individual Training Brigade (Specialist). In January 1979, the Battalion began training Army soldiers under the one station unit training concept (OSUT): the soldier receives both Basic and Advanced Individual Training while assigned in the same company.
On 30 September 1986 the 4th Battalion was redesignated as the 577th Engineer Battalion as part of the Army's Regimental Program. At the same time the Battalion converted from OSUT back to providing only Advanced Individual Training. Its primary mission was to train soldiers in horizontal construction equipment skills. The Battalion was also responsible for training Air Force personnel in selected construction equipment skills and providing support to the 62N30 Basic Noncommissioned Officers Course and the Engineer Officers Basic Course.
In July 1991, the 577th Engineer Battalion was inactivated. Some of the missions of the 577th remained in 4th Engineer Brigade, other missions were transferred to the 589th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade.
In June 1992, the Battalion was activated assuming the mission of the 58th Engineer Battalion to support basic training; train the Army's Combat Engineers, Bridge Crewman, and Armored Engineer Vehicle Crewman; support Officer and Non-commissioned Officer training; and run the Army's Sapper Leader Course.
On 17 February 1993, the decision to reorganize and realign the United States Army Engineer Center was made. This decision had several impacts to the 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade. Company A, 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade was redesignated as Company A, 1st of the 10th Infantry Regiment, 3d Training Brigade on 12 May 1993. Company B, 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade instructors were transferred to the Department of Training on 4 June 1993. Non-instructors were transferred to the 87th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade. Company C, 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade personnel were reassigned to the 87th Engineer Battalion, on 4 June 1993.
On 18 June 1993, 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade was reassigned to the 1st Engineer Brigade. At the same ceremony the 87th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade was discontinued. Companies A, B, and C, 87th Engineer Battalion were redesignated as Companies A, B, and C, 577th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade. Additionally, the Sapper Training Detachment was reassigned from 577th Engineer Battalion, 3d Training Brigade to 577th Engineer Battalion, 1st Engineer Brigade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|