562nd Engineer Company
"Alaska's Arctic Sappers"
The mission of the 562nd Engineer Company is to deploy rapidly with 172d Infantry Brigade (Separate) world wide as directed. Support the brigade with mobility, countermobility, and survivability tasks in combat. Perform infantry combat missions when required, and be able to perform all missions in an arctic environment.
The 562d Engineer Company was constituted on 8 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 175th Chemical Smoke Generator Company. The company was then activated on 10 February 1943 at Inglewood, California. On 31 March 1944, the company was converted and redesignated as the 1372d Engineer Dump Truck Company, joining the hallowed ranks of the mighty Engineers. After service in the Rhineland and Central Europe during World War II, the unit was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on 10 February 1946. Later that year on 2 December, the unit was activated and redesignated in Germany as the 562d Engineer Dump Truck Company. Once again the unit was inactivated in Germany on 1 September 1947 and 10 years would pass before the 562d was called upon again.
On 16 December 1957 the unit was activated in Alaska and redesignated as the 562d Engineer Company, serving with pride until 15 April 1987 when it was inactivated at Fort Richardson, Alaska.
The Engineers did not leave Alaska, actually more came. On 17 August 1988, The 6th Engineer Battalion was activated, with its headquarters at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. Then on 15 June 1994, the battalion stood down with the 6th Infantry Division. The 567th Engineer Company continued to carry the torch until 1 October 1995 when it was redesignated C Co., 41 Engineer Battalion. On 16 June 1998, the company was redesignated once again, this time making the return of the 562d Engineer Company as apart of the 172d Infantry Brigade (Separate).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|